1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to check a Static IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wil22, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wil22

Wil22 Thread Starter

I had to create a static IP address in my Linksys Router to be able to use any Video Teleconferencing program such as NetMeeting & MSN Messenger on my XP operating system. Is there a way to check/test if my static IP is configured correctly because I still can't use the specific programs.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, most broadband routers will assign a fixed address to a specific MAC address on the LAN using DHCP. My machine here has had x.x.x.71 forever, even after rebooting the router and the machine many times.

3. Wil22

Wil22 Thread Starter

Thanks but this does not fix my poblem nor answers my question. I have three computers on a LAN with each having having a different IP address using DHCP. One of these computer I had to establish a static IP address to use Video Conferencing but it doesn't work and is there a way to test this configuration.

4. Cee Ess

Cee Ess

More info Wil22?

Are you trying to use these programs with external people?
    Do you have a static IP address externally? If so what is it and who is it provided by?

Setting a static IP address on your own internal network will not help if you are trying to communicate with the outside world.

5. Wil22

Wil22 Thread Starter

Yes I am trying to communicate with external friends and everything use to work fine until I decided to create my own LAN. Linksys representative informed me that I needed to setup my own internal Static IP address to open ports that would allow me to use audio and video features of NetMeeting and MSN Messenger. I was skeptical at first but was assured that I could create a Static IP through my LAN. Thanks.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So did you forward any ports on your router to the machine that is trying to use NetMeeting.

7. Wil22

Wil22 Thread Starter

Yes I forwarded all ports required to function with NetMeeting but still unable to use Video and Audio features of the Video Conferencing programs

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice