1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to check broadband speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by chinchye, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chinchye

chinchye Thread Starter

Hi, I am using windowsXP. Recently I just change my broadband to a higher speed which is 1.something MB.

How do I check the broadband speed.

Thanks

2. RT

RT

3. Ebet

Ebet

dslreports.com is another good one

4. chinchye

chinchye Thread Starter

Hi,
    (1) Recently I change my M1 broadband speed from 384kbps to 1.8Mbps. How do I tell whether my broadband speed is 384kbps or 1.8Mbps.

(2) I am using windowsXP, at the tray at the bottom right, there is a wireless network connection icon and when I hover my mouse at the icon, I see 'some kbps' received and 'some kbps sent'. What is that? Could it be that the "something" received is the download speed, and if that is the download speed, than its strange because sometimes that something received was very high....like 45,000,000bps but it took a long time to download a 10mb file.

Thanks a lot.

5. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman

try this
    http://www.speedtest.net/

It tells you what your download and upload speed is....if thats what u were asking for...it may give u diff. results than the site RT recommended but you can average it out

6. Ebet

Ebet

in answer to question 2 - those numbers have to do with the amount of data going up or down - not the speed - if you leave it up long enough you can see some really large numbers, if I'm understanding which icon you are looking at. Try one or all of the broadband speed test sites referenced and you will get a good idea of what your up and down speed are as they are not the same thing.

7. chinchye

chinchye Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone for the help. I did a test in speedtest.net and this is what I get :- download = 449Kb/s
    upload = 254kb/s
    Latency = 715ms
    server = Singapore
    distance = 50mi

I am using m1 broadband of speed 1.8M, so are the above speedtest results compatible with my broadband speed. I think its very slow.

Once connected, an icon will appear at the tray with the following readings : - speed: 3.6Mbps, sent 123456bytes, received 1234567bytes. What do they mean by speed = 3.6Mbps, is it the download speed or upload speed or what is that?

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!