how to check driect cds (packet writing)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gameman

Hello all,
I have several Direct CDs that I use (packet formated) and while I have not really had any problem with them, I have heard of all the problems other people have had and now I wonder how to verify that the Direct CD is working well.

I have seen programs such as CD-R diagnostic, and while the site says it checks packet writing, it does not appear to. It is great on regular CDs though. Any other suggestions on this? I really would like to hear anyone that has had experience with direct CD, good or bad.

Like I said I have not had any problems at all, but while the file is copying I am not doing anything else and I wait till the file is done saving to CD before I try to do something else with it (with the actual lights on the drive not when the computer says the copying is done as I have seen the drive is not quite done then).

Thanks in advance.

-Gameman

Newer CD writing software has a built in checker. For older software I think CD Check is free for personal use: http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

Packet written CDs don’t seem any more subject to corruption resulting from the actual write than CDs recorded with mastering software.

Any time a formatted RW is in your burner the table of contents (TOC) is in RAM. If you lose power or have a computer lockup you are likely to not be able to read some or all of the stuff on the CD without explorer type recovery software. If your software doesn’t have a checking function it probably doesn’t have the recovery software either.

Since your files are available as if they were on any other drive they would be subject to file destroying viruses. The data is also subject to accidental erasure or overwrite.

If the data on your packet written RWs is valuable enough for you to want to find and run a file check program, it is far too valuable to trust to a packet written RW IMHO.

Office Max has some Imation CDRs this week for about 4c each after rebate. There have been terrific blow-offs of slower CDRs with the 40 and 48X burners out. Get some cheap good quality CDRs and back up your packet written RWs to them.

I have no personal use for packet writing. I don’t envision ever writing anything to CD I absolutely care nothing about and could even less envision writing anything that had the slightest value to me on a packet written RW.

The problem is more with the media than the software. CDRWs are inherently less stable than write-once CDs, especially after repeated use.

gameman

Hmm good to know. Though I have not had any problems, if I don't have any errors at the time of writing and afterwords looks fine (via testing), would it be good to assume that the data is safe? Or will it possibly "go bad" in time?

What medium would you suggest for long terms storage? I assume CD-R?

Thanks in advance

-Gameman

Anything will go bad in time. But write-once are considered to be more stable than CDRWs, and god CDs should last longer than you if treated correctly. Don't expose them to heat or direct sunlight, don't touch the recorded surface etc. There is also a suggestion that writing on them with oil-based marker pens may not be a good idea

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online