Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to check my windows activation status?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark1956 
#1 ·
Hello,
last summer I bought a HP CQ2300GR desktop with windows xp sp3 pre-activated.
My pc shows a biohd-8 hard disk error in its diagnostic tools (f9) since a couple of months now.
I checked in the net and it seems it may be a motherboard/hard disk problem and I am sceptic about having it fixed in HP while still in warranty (some more months remain) and risking to stuck with a broken pc after the warranty's end, if it breaks again. I consider alternatively to simply buy a more reliable pc.
In the mean time I performed some three times system recovery through dvd (I was lucky enough to prepare one immediately after opening my new system). After the third recovery my diagnostic tool stopped working and it leads to the windows screen offering to start with safe mode.
Accidentally I checked my system's info through start>help@support and about the Os it says "windows xp home, not activated, end within 30 days".
Microsoft says if one formats the hard disk must reactivate windows xp.
But in HP site in recovery instructions this is not mentioned anywhere, instead it is mentioned about windows 7 that it is not necessary.
I was lucky for a second time as my recoveries occurred in lapses of time smaller than 30 days between them.
I would be grateful if you could advise how to check my windows xp activation status and how to re-activate them if necessary.
Tks

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is the support and downloads site for the Compaq CQ2300GR (VN403AA) desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it was introduced in October 2009 for sale in Greece and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 pre-installed.

A full system recovery back to its original factory condition with the recovery disc kit should not require you to reactivate Windows, even if the hard drive has been replaced, because the recovery "tattooing" is on the motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I typed winver, I saw a window saying:

Windows information
Microsoft windows xp home edition
Microsoft
Copyright 1985-2001
Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft windows
Version 5.1 (internal edition 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120821-1629:Service Pack 3)
Copyright 2007 Microsoft Corporation
This is given to use under the conditions of eula to:

Do not understand if this answers my question.
The thing is if I must re-install again before 30 days are over from previous time, or else my windows will be locked

#6 ·
There is no name after "eula to:".
I presume I must re-activate or re-perform destructive recovery before 30 days are over.
I posted same question in http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/BIOHD-8-in-CQ2300GR-desktop/m-p/2356135#M59618 and nobody answered as yet.
I get some surveys in my email on the part of HP asking how is my experience with them.
I'd like to answer that this desktop experience is like going to the war.
But then again, I consider myself lucky I saw this ""windows xp home, not activated, end within 30 days".
Google is my best friend? Yes, since there are no others.

#7 ·
Follow this guide to re-activate XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

There is a small chance that your product key has been blocked by Microsoft in which case you will have to call them to get a replacement key.

If there is a fault with the hard drive no amount of re-installing will fix the system, it will need to be replaced. I would suggest you get it done under the guarantee while you can.

#8 ·
I have done anything possible with Microsoft, too.
The computer does not ask, prompt or allow to re-activate windows in no way whatsoever.
There is no activation wizard in start>all programs> accessories>system tools neither in right click my computer>properties>tools.
There are no pop-ups preventing about it and nothing else except for my windows help & support center>info about my computer>general where it is said that:
OS
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - Not activated (ends within 30 days) Edition: 5.1.2600 Service Pack: 3.0 Place: C:\WINDOWS PΙD: xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx Hot Fix: XpsEPSC
So at first I discovered the telephone support of Microsoft for windows activation for my country, which is in UK (am not uk resident). 00448702411963 for activation and 00448448002400 for support by the way.
I called there three times, each time the employee took my data (name, surname, phone, email, country) and problem description, put me on the waiting line, listening to music for half an hour each time and never connected me to the service support.
After that I discovered the local phone support of Microsoft which is not given by its web site, called them and they said my windows are activated and they do not need re-activation. Couldn't explain though why my windows help & support says that as above.

I must risk waiting for the next thirty days to see if any pop-up prevents me for re-activating, or re-install, or lose access to my windows, those are my three options.

Also, to give the pc to HP to fix it, as you said.
But you see, I'm sceptical about others solutions and only trust what I myself can do about resolving my problems.
Previous experiences are just a sample of the 12 years in the net reason that led me to that conclusion.

#9 ·
Ok, Microsoft obviously thinks your licence is activated although from your own observations the system thinks it isn't. Your PC's built in diagnostics tools shows a problem with the hard drive so I would suggest running a test with a more advanced tool for a second opinion. As I said earlier if the drive really is bad then it will have to be replaced before you can make any progress.

I would also suggest running this tool and posting the log, this will confirm if the Windows licence is valid and activated and may show us any problems with related system files.

• To run the tool, click on this link: MGADiag
  • In the File Download - Security Warning dialog box, click Run.
  • In the Internet Explorer - Security Warning dialog box, click Run.
  • In the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool dialog box, click Continue.
  • When the MGADIAG tool finishes, ensure it is displaying the information under the Windows tab and click Copy.
  • Come back to this thread and right click on the message box and select Paste from the pop up menu and the results will appear, then submit the message.

==============================================================

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.