1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to check to see if hardware is working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coryvance, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coryvance

coryvance Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavailion dv1000 laptop and i have had it for about 2 years now. I have a problem with things just starting to stop working. i have 2 USB ports that don't seem like they work anymore, I have a digital Media area(for memory cards, SD cards, etc.) that doesnt want to read anymore, and now my touchpad doesnt want to work. the buttons work and sometimes i can get the mouse to move using the touch pad if i use my thumb. Its strange. How do i check and see if there is any problem with the hardware and why does my touchpad only work when i use my thumb (well only works sometimes)

Thanks... any information would be great.

cory

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

First did you get any Disks with the PC....like Utility CD....Operating System on CD.?

3. coryvance

coryvance Thread Starter

yes i did, i got a bunch of disks im not totally sure which ones i got since i dont have them with me at the moment.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Well try to find them and see if you have the motherboard (Chipset drivers) drivers on one of them and re-install them.

You also could try going to Device Manager and uninstall all you USB drivers and restart the PC..and see

5. coryvance

coryvance Thread Starter

I tried the Device Manager and no luck

the discs i got with my computer are "application and driver recovery" and operating system recovery" I tried to just reinstall all the drivers with the "application and driver recovery" disc but it didn't seem to do anything.

I don't think its broke, because it works but not the way it used it. Maybe its dieing... is there a way to find out without taking it in and spending a ton of money on it?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice