1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to check USB 3 device is operational

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harvey09, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harvey09

harvey09 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Bought a new WD Passport Essentials USB 3 drive and plugged it into my ASUS laptop, that has a USB 3 connection.

When I first connected the drive it went through a brief installation proceedure and for the driver it crossed the checklist box unlike the preceeding steps, whiich were ticked. So I presume it didn't install the software.

The drive shows up in the list and you can transfer data to and from it okay but it's slow.

I tried to install the driver using Win 7 from the path on the WD drive where the drivers are located and from the net and it tells me that the most up todate driver is installed.

Is there a way to determine in say Device Manager or such, whether the drive is connecting at USB 3 or USB 2.

I've tried to contact WD, but they seem to be closed for the holiday break. I've downloaded some of their test software, but essentially this only tells you the drive is functional and not what speed it's connecting at.

Can anyone help on this one as it's more than a little disappointing that it's not working as it should. :(

2. vicks

vicks

Does your computer have USB 2 or USB 3 ports?
    Vicks

3. harvey09

harvey09 Thread Starter

It has 2 USB ports one is designated as a USB 3 port, (which is one of the reasons I bought that laptop) and the Device Manager confirms that the drivers are there. The other is USB2 which I usually plug the mouse into.

I did a test with a program called HD Tune and the average read/write speeds were about 54Mb/sec, which compared to my internal HDD of 86Mb/sec is pretty poor.

All I want to do is be able to confirm if the drive is connecting at USB3 rates, if it is then I guess that's my lot, but after transferring the drive to my desktop with only USB2 ports the transfer rate was almost the same, so I'm hoping that something is amiss!

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Because USB 3 is designed to be backward compatible with USB 2, I would check the cable to verify it is in fact a USB 3 cable. The plug on the end that plugs into the computer should have 9 contacts (4 on one side, and 5 on the other). If the plug only has 4 four contacts then it is a USB 2 cable.

5. harvey09

harvey09 Thread Starter

The lead has the 9 contacts and is the lead that came with the drive and has been tagged as a USB 3 cable. So I'm pretty confident the problem isn't there?

Any other suggestions as this is really frustrating! :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice