1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to choose and install the right graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theant4, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theant4

theant4 Thread Starter

I'm hoping to start playing the Mass Effect games, but in order to play I'm going to need a better graphics card for my laptop (at least for the second game). There are a couple things I'm wondering:

1) If you have the graphics card, is it possible to install it yourself, or do you have to have it done by a professional?

2) When I used CanYouRunIt? it suggested a specific graphics card, but how do I know whether that card will fit with my laptop?

3) Is CanYouRunIt? even accurate? I had it suggested to me (I think in another thread on this very site) but someone else has told me that it's "considered a joke among hardware enthusiasts because of how innacurate it is."

My current graphics card is an ATI Radeon 3100. CanYouRunIt? suggested a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater, or an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. However, although it says I need a higher graphics card, it says the one I have has enough video RAM, hardware T&L, and high enough versions of both Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader (honestly I don't really know what those mean but I don't get why those get green checkmarks but it still says I should use a different card).

Hopefully that's enough info to get you started. Let me know if there are any other specs that I need to provide.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

All grapic for a lap top are on board,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice