1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to chop it into about 9 rectangles

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by carlo67, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlo67

carlo67 Thread Starter

hi
    By using a photograph taken with a 12megapixel camera, i want to be able to chop it into about 9 rectangles of equal size, and then print these equal parts of the photo as 6x4 to be used as a postcards- once these photos have all been recieved they can be joined together as one, and the end result will be the original photo.
    How can i cut the original picture equally & print each little part as a 6x4 print and for it to be clear?
    what software can do it ?
    Thanks.

2. antimoth

antimoth

This is trivial for most any photo editor. They all crop. You do need one that shows the dimensions of the crop so you can do it without guessing.

What camera are you using. Your 4x6 post card format is a 3:2 aspect ratio (horizontal/vertical). If your camera happens to shoot in a 3:2 ratio (some do), the cropping is easy as you basically divide eveything by 3. But many cameras shoot in a 4:3 ratio, and they cannot be divided into 9 rectangles each with a 3:2 ratio unless you toss out the top and lower portions of the image.

You could always resize the original image to a 3:2 ratio with software before cropping, but that will distort thing and make people short and squat, etc.

Can't help with the software. You probably want free software with a crop tool that indicates the pixel dimensions. I know it exists, but I don't use any free photo edit software, just the store bought stuff.

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Interesting application.
    As far as freeware .. I'd use Irfanview's batch processor .. Where the offset and crop size can be specified.
    This should let you specify the exact place to split the pic(s) and the size of the crop.

I'd probably split the pic into 3 columns .. Then split the 3 pics into 3rows.
    Then set the DPI so they print 4x6 inches by default.
    This will take some math depending on the pixel dimensions of the pic.

I could also send you my Email Address .. And you could let me do it with Photoshop :D

Numbers are just examples ...

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice