How to Clean install everything

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sooky 47

Gone and dearly missed
I have a MDG computer, running Me. They gave me a MDG Recovery CD-Rom disk with Win. M4 0n it.
I also have a d: drive with set up on it. I have used d: setup to re-run windows if I have messed up, But my question is:
How Do I use this disk to do a CLEAN install of my system?
The last time there was a virus it cost me $$$ for them to re-install a clean system?
When I had apple I had 3 disks to do a clean install of my system simple, and it would ask if I wanted to do a clean install.
What gives?
I would like to learn this clean install stuff myself, but I am new to windows.
Thanks

Have you looked to see what is on the disk (such as readme's)? They vary from vendor to vendor. Some contain only driver reloads, others will do a full, clean install. And is their tech support responsive to your questions if you email or phone them?

Sooky 47

Gone and dearly missed
These are the files:
Base2.cab, Bootcat.Bin, BootMg. Bin, Drivers5.cab, Drivers6.cab, Drivers7.cab, Image.zip, Mini.Cab, Net3.Cab, Net4.Cab, PKUNZIP.EXE, Setup.EXE

When I have called and talked to "Support" ha, ha
their answer is. it is best to bring it in unless you know what yu are doing. What good is the disk if yu don't know what to do with it, or get an explanation of it.
The only answer I have ever gotten was when the computer had a virus and a clean install was done and they told me that it takes upwards of 4-5 hours to reinstall.???

Is there a WinME directory or something similar also there? Normally this would contain all the files accessed by setup.exe when it is run.

Sooky 47

Gone and dearly missed
Hi again,

I listed all the files, programs etc. that I saw when I accessed the CD, sorry no more there?

If I don't have the file that you suggested needs to be there,
what are my options from here?
Help please!

To do a WinME clean install that CD would have to have a WinME folder with all the cab files that exist in c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\windows\options\install (whichever you have)

I don't know what the intent of that setup.exe file is there. Maybe someone else has a WinMe CD with something similar and can explain. Unfortunately I don't and can't.

That setup.exe is the file to auto run the cd. When you boot to dos and type in D:\setup.exe this is the file that will run the program.

I am not sure what you mean by a clean install but if you mean only winME then in widows you should have a folder with winME in C:\windows\options\cabs. If you can copy these files to a cd then you can run the setup.exe from the computer that you placed on the cd and run a clean install.

I have directions on my web site as how to do a clean install using windows cd which would be the same as the C:\windows\options\cabs files.

You can print these directions and go from there if you like and if you have problems email me and I will walk you through it.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html#13

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online