1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to clean up a slow computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angie67, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angie67

angie67 Thread Starter

:) ,

Hello I have a friend who has a Omni Notebook 2000. It is running very,very,very slow. Can you tell me where I need to go on it to find Scan disc, & anything else that I might be able to do to help her clean it up a little bit. If I am not in the right forum would someone please move me to where I need to be?

Thanks For Your Help,
    Angie67
    ...bump...

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Could also be an overheating problem...try raising it up with something and using a household fan to blow underneath it and see if it runs better if it does the the heatsink needs a clean.

Try using these:

Adaware (Update this program on line prior to the Scan)

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Spybot (Update this program on line prior to the Scan)

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial

Ccleaner (Windows tab lefthand pane for now only check,Temporary Internet files,Cookies,Temporary files.)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

3. rasputinj

rasputinj

What OS, XP or 2000. I would look at running a defrag on it. I would look at Black Vipers site of stuff to clean off. And also use the Adware cleaner programs.

4. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Scandisk and/or checkdisk should be on the PC already. It should be in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> system tools.

If it isn't there, try opening up a command prompt, and typing "checkdisk /F". Open a command prompt by going to Start -> Run, and typing "command"

A bogged down computer could be the result of several things. You might want to free up some hard drive space, get rid of old, unsused user accounts, get rid of old, unused programs, get rid of screensavers, toolbars, P2P file sharing software such as Kazaa.

After you free up some space, run disk defragmenter. It should be in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> system tools.

5. angie67

angie67 Thread Starter

Thanks for the QUICK replies. I will see my friend this weekend and also give her this site so that maybe she can learn as much from you all as I have.
    Thanks,
    Angie67

6. Fizban

Fizban

Hello angie67,

Looks like you've got some good advice already but I will add my 2 pennies for what it's worth.
    If you're friend is going on line without adequate security it won't be long before the system get infected with loads of rubbish. To keep clean I use everything in my sig.
    Ad-Aware, Spybot, MS Antispyware, Avast and Ewido to scan and remove malware,
    SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and Zone Alarm to prevent Problems in the first place, with Avast and Spybot providing Residential protection as well it should be enough for most people.

Malware likes to hang around in Temporary files, so I run Ccleaner after every internet session, it's so easy once its installed you can R/click on the recycle bin and run from there. It takes about 2 seconds on my system, make sure you un-tick "Old Prefetch Data" in the system section, I think its counter productive.

7. angie67

angie67 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I trid to do the things that you all suggested on my friends computer. Well here is how far I got!! NOT VERY FAR :) .

Her computer is a Hewlett Packard Omni Book XE3 with Windows 2000. She got it used and there is ALOT of junk on it. It is so full that it wouldn't let me run a DIsc Defrag on it because it had to have 15% of space & only had 6% of space. I couldn't run the scan disc because it said that there was no scan disc on the computer even though it is in the spot I was told to look for it.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to go about getting some of this junk off of it with out having to download anything, as there is no room left on the hard drive to download anything.

I wanted to do a HJT log & was not even able to do this.

I have Windows 98 on my computer so trying to work on hers was like greek to me. Anyone who can help will you please be pretty specific on where to go & what to do?

Thanks For All Of Your Help!!!!

Angie67
    ...bump...

8. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

9. angie67

angie67 Thread Starter

Kenny94,

Thanks for your help & the other website looks COOL. I also forgot to tell that when I went to the add/remove programe it wouldn't let me remove anything. It popped up a message uninstall.exe generated errors. Can anyone tell me what this means & how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Angie67
    ...bump...

10. Fizban

Fizban

Do you know if any registry cleaning software has been used?.
    These Applications can delete uninstall files.
    You seem to have a few problems however so it's probably something else. If there is 2MB of free space on the HD you should be able to download and install Ccleaner, I've known it to clean 600 - 700MB on clogged up systems and that would be more than enough room. Just don't do the issues section.
    If the hard drive is 100% full then you will have to delete something, My Documents would be the best place.
    You mentioned that the computer has 6% of it's memory though, what's the figure in MB?. To find out go into my computer and right click on the C drive select properties and it should tell you.

If you clear space and you still can't download then try downloading the stuff you need on another system and burning it to a CD. You can then put the disc into the problem computer and run the .exe files from the disc.

One thing though as I'm a bit confused (which is not difficult) but did you're friend recently buy the notebook and the stuff on it is not hers? If so do you have the windows disc? If so I would reformat it anyway.

If you're not sure how to do any of the above just post back.

11. grewas

grewas

Here's how to check the hard drive in Win2K:

1. Open My Computer
    2. Right-click C: and choose properties
    3. Click the Tool tab
    4. In the Error-checking section, click the "Check Now" button
    5. Click "Automatically fix file system errors"
    6. You will probably get an error about "cannot lock the drive, do you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer". This is normal, say "yes".
    7. Reboot and it should check the disk during startup

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice