1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to clear cmos on acer es1-511

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bOa, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bOa

bOa Thread Starter

Hi!
    Recently i messed up my bios so I opened my laptop and for my suprise, the cmos battery is soldered to the motherboard [​IMG] I tried to short it but only the clock were set back to default. I found something called JCMOS1 under the RAM so I shorted it for 20 seconds but nothing has changed [​IMG] can someone tell me how to correctly clear the cmos? My laptop is an acer es1-511

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The 100$ question is
    What have you messed up - in the BIOS/firmware.

Can you access the firmware interface?

Does the computer boot and load Windows

OR is the problem - by any chance a BIOS password issue

3. bOa

bOa Thread Starter

thanks for your reply
    so here is the problem with the bios: I couldn't boot from usb or dvd, it derectly showed grub2 (because I use windows and ubuntu 16.04). I erased the ubuntu's partition and deleted grub2 with cmd then I rebooted my computer. It starts up, shows Acer logo. It says "system bootOrder not found" and reboot itself ( I'm stuck in a reboot loop). I removed the hard drive and the boot manager gave me two options " 1- ubuntu 2-windows boot manager"
    I tried everything ( yeah e v y r y t h i n g ) to reset the bios but............... Well, before I have to reprogram the BIOS, any idea how to reset the cmos on this laptop?

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You do not need the drive connected to access the BIOS - the UEFI firmware
    Immediately the Acer Logo appears or whatever is the first post screen you should still be able to access the firmware - I think it is F2 key
    you need to keep tapping that key.

I have no idea what damage may have been done by
    but I can assure you that this is NOT the correct procedure.

As you may know you would if it was a normal coin cell battery remove the battery - that however often only resets the clock
    Having removed the battery you then to clear settings - short the terminals

I do not think that the removal of the Ubuntu partition and the deletion of Grub should have in any manner prevented you accessing firmware, although it would certainly stop you booting and loading windows, as the windows boot manager was of course replaced by Grub.

You may wish to consider if the drive was never formatted and still contains the Acer recovery partition
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.

1. However even if it works, you will of course go back to whatever OS was installed originally

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice