How to clone HD to CDRW & to new HD?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daniel Davis

I have a 15gig Western Digital hard drive I use to run my business. I'd like to clone it to CDRW so I can restore if the drive dies. What is the minimum version of Ghost that will do the job? I bought a copy of Norton 2000 System Utilities that has Ghost Personal Edition on it. The Read.me file says version 1.2. Will that do the job...or do I need to get a newer version? I use MOBILE RACK so I can switch drives. I have another bay open, but I have 4 IDE devices already (ZIP, CDRW, CD & HD). Can you hook more than 4 IDE devices to the motherboard if it only has 2 IDE ports? My main reason for not doing it disk to disk (they're identical drives) and choosing CDRW instead is to keep from having to take the system apart and fool with all that hassle.

As far as cloning the HD to CDR the Norton Ghost you have should work for Win98/ME or NT. I don’t think the 2000 version of Norton System Works was generally compatible with Win2k, and the 2001 version isn’t compatible with MX – they always seem to be a year behind on their numbering. I really don’t know whether Ghost follows the rest of Works in incompatibility.

If it doesn’t work for your OS, this is a good deal on System Works 2001 for $11: http://www.directdeals.com/product.asp?id=376 Completely registerable – not OEM. I got one 6 months ago and the AV updates have been forthcoming with no registration problems.

I have seen Promise ATA66 cards in Pricewatch for $15 including shipping. Doesn’t sound like you have anything faster than ATA 66. If you have a PCI slot it will give you 2 more IDE channels for two devices each channel. It also improves data flow by separating sources – not bad for $15. You can get the ATA 100 card for $15 plus $12 shipping. Definitely a better idea if you plan purchasing a HD or if your current one is ATA 100.

Daniel Davis

Man..thanks for that information! That saves me from having to buy somerthing I don't need. Can you tell me how to go about making sure that when I boot to dos to run ghost...it recognizes my cdrw?

Hey, here's another place I was able to get some cheap software prices....www.iontechnologies.com . If that's not the exact address, just go to google.com and type in "ion technologies".

Dan

Originally posted by Daniel Davis
I have a 15gig Western Digital hard drive I use to run my business. I'd like to clone it to CDRW so I can restore if the drive dies. What is the minimum version of Ghost that will do the job? I bought a copy of Norton 2000 System Utilities that has Ghost Personal Edition on it. The Read.me file says version 1.2. Will that do the job...or do I need to get a newer version? I use MOBILE RACK so I can switch drives. I have another bay open, but I have 4 IDE devices already (ZIP, CDRW, CD & HD). Can you hook more than 4 IDE devices to the motherboard if it only has 2 IDE ports? My main reason for not doing it disk to disk (they're identical drives) and choosing CDRW instead is to keep from having to take the system apart and fool with all that hassle.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online