1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Config the "Perfect VISTA"? Cookbook?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zapp22, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Can someone point me to the "Cookbook" for attaining the best, most stable, fast, unbreakable VISTA?
    I thought I had a handle on it but recent experiences show me to be stoopid.
    If it were any of the XP variants or 7 it would be cake..... right?

I need the keys to the mystic vista nirvana... Someone point me in the right direction, please.

I see the sticky's at the top of the page, but I'm not EVEN at the tweaking/customizing stage yet. I need the base install recipe.
    SP1? SP2? from what I read both are problematic. MS seems to have attempted to hide those from view anymore... the updates suggested do not include SP's. What's that story?
    What should I remove from a base Vista Business or Vista Home Premium? What to avoid?

thx for pointers

Z

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

From a security stand point, all updates are necessary, including both SP1 and SP2. There are bound to be problems for a small group of users for any service pack, but for the majority they install just fine. When you do come across a problem, then you can google for solutions, But I wouldn't conclude from ~8 forum posts that report problems to mean that I shouldn't install that service pack.

From what I remember seeing, it seems that Windows Update offers all the patches prior to a SP, and then, it offers the SP. I don't know why it doesn't just offer the SP first. What I do, is manually download both SP first on another machine, install them offline, and then go online to fetch the remaining patches. This way, you have less security holes present when you go online with the new machine for the first time.

Also, don't surf when you are doing the Windows Update, because your Internet Explorer is not secure yet. Bear in mind that you have to manually click on Check for Updates after doing a batch of updates to ensure that you have gotten them all.

Here's how I do Windows installations:

1 Disable most lietening ports. Run "netstat -an" and you will see a list of "listening" ports. Close them or firewall them. Attackers need a listening port in order to interact with your machine. You can google for "close port #" to see how to close each port.

2 Disable unneeded network protocols. Things like "QoS" , "Link Layer Topology Discovery" are things that I do not need. ( my router doesnt support QoS, and I dont need a topology map for my simple 1 router network ) If you don't do File and Folder sharing on your network, then you also don't need "Client for MS Networks" and NetBIOS over TCPIP.

3 Choose the "Public" network profile. This will cause Windows firewall to close some ports.

4 Connect the ethernet cable and do Windows Update. Remember: do not surf.

5 Install your antivirus, antispyware and antimalware programs. Do updates for each so they have the latest signatures.

6 Install your applications. Since antivirus is now present, if you attempt to install a piece of trojan, it would be caught.

7 Then scan your backup documents, photos and music, and bring them over.

8 Connect to your Wifi network if you have wireless.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

thank you lunar. I shall install them all and see what happens.

but to the bigger picture, then, is the process for making VISTA behave well and run fast & lean any different than what I would do for XP?? if so, can you point me to a guide? In the past I have finally, for the sake of folks non-technical stuck with Vista, finally removed/replaced with XP, and breathed a sigh of relief. With the two current Vista systems I'm working on, I do not have a good XP license or two to install, so we must "dance with them that brung ya' ".. So slogging my way through trying to make 'em work well.

4. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

looks like I drew the wrong card: its hung. The screen messaging showed it had just completed all three stages of sp1 installation, then it triggered another reboot. hung on shutdown. I haven't done anything. looking for guidance

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

no biggie actually. hard power off, held my breath but it came out ok

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

thx. I found the mother lode of tuning/tweaking/customization of Vista at http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/#vista-tips-tweaks

I really appreciate your endorsement of sp1/2. after loading those the system is remarkably snappier. they must have decided to 'fix' some of vista's awful problems. glad I went ahead and swallowed all the medicine

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice