1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to confirm motherboard or CPU issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCDown, Aug 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. PCDown

PCDown Thread Starter

Hey guys, this is my first post. I found out about this website from a guy that I've been watching on YouTube. Anyway, on to the problem.

My computer has been having an issue for several months now and has finally stopped working all together. The issue is that it will continually go into a reboot loop at startup. I normally keep my computer on all the time and it's about 4-5 years old, so this isn't because of a new build issue. For the last few months, if I did turn it off for some reason, it would sometimes take several hours of leaving it on the reboot loop until it would finally start up. Now that it's not working at all, I'm trying to troubleshoot the issue. Here's what I've done so far:

Swapped the power supply.
    Swapped the RAM, both the ones that I had in originally, plus other known good ones.
    Reset the BIOS.
    Disconnected all unnecessary devices - video card, hard drives, DVD player, etc.

After all of that, I thought for sure it was the motherboard, because there's only that and the CPU left to test and so many people tell me that CPUs rarely have issues. Due to the fact that I have a ton of expensive software on this computer that I don't want to loose, I didn't want to just start over again and get a whole new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. So, I found a "used - like new" motherboard from Newegg and tried that. After setting the whole thing up again, I found that it is still doing the exact same thing - endless reboot loop. Fans come on for about 3-4 seconds, it turns off for about 2-3 seconds, and then repeats endlessly. It never gets to POST, no error beeps, etc.

So, after having just invested money into another motherboard into this somewhat older system, I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can do to diagnose this before I end up putting more money into another CPU just to find out if that's it or not. Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would REALLY help if you posted all of your exact specs; we have no idea what hardware you are running.
    It is correct that cpus generally do not fail unless you overclock/overvolt them however anything can fail. Unless you received a DOA pw supply, you have pretty much ruled out everything except the processor.

How can you lose the software??? You have the original install disks or setup file stored correct?

3. PCDown

PCDown Thread Starter

Good question. It was my CAD computer from my old job. When the business closed, as my "severance package" - if you'd like to call it that, I asked if I could keep my computer. It has a professional copy of both SolidWorks and AutoCAD, at least $15k to replace. Plus, to build a new desktop with the same capabilities would be about $2.5-3k. Thus, my interest in trying to get a few more years out of this system as it is. Plus, I don't need to use it too often any more, but I have a patent due soon and I need the computer to finish it.

4. PCDown

PCDown Thread Starter

Sorry, I missed the top portion with your questions about my system specs. It's a Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard, Intel i7-4790k processor, and 32 GB Ram (4x Crucial 8GB).

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would not cost anywhere even close to $2500 to build a system like that. In fact [if you use your old video card and hard drive] You can build a much more capable system for approx $800 or so; give or take a few $
    Your only real way of finding out IF the processor is the problem is to install a cheap cpu and see if it will boot. You can get a celeron for $65 at newegg. If it were me, I would not invest money into attempting to fix your hardware however up to you.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW on any intel, I always recommend pulling the motherboard to install a cpu. The reason is that with the board out of the case, you can inspect the back of the board to be sure all four pushpins are fully seated. In addition, I really dislike having to push so hard on the board when it is only supported by standoffs. I am fearful of cracking the pcb and or breaking a solder trace on the board. With the board out of the case, this is not an issue. You can support the board with one hand while pushing the pins with the other.

7. PCDown

PCDown Thread Starter

The system was just over $3k when it was purchased. If I were to replace half of it, I would just go ahead and get something up to date that would be a valid system for the next 3-5 years. That's all I meant by that. But yes, the video card and SSD were a good part of that cost and I wouldn't need to replace those necessarily.

Thanks for the info on the installation and the recommendation on the $65 processor. I actually just found out that my brother has an LGA1150 socketed motherboard also, so I should just be able to try his CPU as a test. I agree too, about removing the motherboard first. I'm surprised they don't support those better.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice