1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect 2 Networks (LAN)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by finito, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finito

finito Thread Starter

I am looking to connect 4 of my branches to my Head office. (total of 5 Networks)
    Presently none of the networks have internet, I have been looking at viable ways to connect the branches.

So far i have come up with the following:

* xDSL Data Lines provided by my ISP. (Only option offered by my ISP)
    * Point to Point Wireless connection

The network is being set Up for a POS software, so reliability is crucial.

As i know Wireless is unreliable.
    DSL is a good option but the connection speed being offered here (Kuwait), are expensive and slow.

Therefore i am looking for other viable Options...

P.S. T1/T3 are not offered in Kuwait.

2. finito

finito Thread Starter

Reliability is a big concern as this is for a POS setup.
    I don't know much about Wireless, but from what i hear it is highly unreliable.

I have nothing to back that statement, can you tell me if Point-to-Point Wireless is any good most locations are within 1 km Diameter of the Head Office...

I will be running an SQL server 2005 with C#.net 2003 Interface, I plan to add IP camera's Later..

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If they're not line-of-sight, wireless would be very expensive.

4. finito

finito Thread Starter

its not about being expensive. my proiority is getting a Reliable way of connecting my Branches to my Head Office.

I lilke wireless cause it (theoretically 54MB if i get full signal) will be fast, will have no bandwidth Limit and it will be pay once kindof thing.

I like DSL cause it will uninterupted connection, but I will have to give a monthly fee of 200KD ~ 692 USD for 256Kb/s on each side.

I was thinking maybe there is a way to 2 DSL modems to each other like a normal Duil Up modem can connect to another dial up modem..

I mean it makes sense but i don know the interworkings of it...

Over here when u want to get DSL u have to get you telephone company (MTC the only one here) to "jumper" your line i have no clue what that really means...

5. ronmelton

ronmelton

Are all locations line of site to each other, that is as long as any site can see any one other site.

6. JohnWill

Nope, DSL modems need to connect to a complicated arrangement at the telco CO.

Truthfully, I'd be looking at higher end microwave transmission, not $50 802.11g equipment.

7. finito

finito Thread Starter

yes all Sites are in line of site. they are directly opposite but have roads in between with very tall 18 wheelers goin by every now and then.

guy told me there is a way to get past this, but even so is performance any good?

8. ronmelton

ronmelton

It is possible to have a stable reliable network using wireless. You need someone to do a proper site survey:

1/ to see how good line of site is,
    2/ How much interference- using 5ghz would be more reliable then 2.4ghz
    3/ Locating the access points, and what type of antennas

We have a number of clients where the sites are upto 5 km apart and these are used for business networks using accounts systems etc.

This might not be a job that you would take on yourself.

9. finito

finito Thread Starter

Believe me when i say i would rather have it done by some professional, but I havnt found anyone that is sure about what they have to do. I am looking for options if the last resort is doing it myself so be it.

P.S. you don do work in kuwait by any chance??

10. finito

finito Thread Starter

This a very basic layout of the my branches. This particualr stretch of road is about 1 KM.

Attached Files:

11. JohnWill

I only see three branch offices. You mentioned four.

This would appear to possibly offer LOS to all the offices. Can you mount external antennas on the roof of all the buildings?

12. finito

finito Thread Starter

fourth one is in a different "City", about 3 KM from the head Office.

I can attach external antennas on 3 of them, the only one i cant is the one on the far left (farthest from Head Office shown on map).

"This would appear to possibly offer LOS to all the offices" LOS?

13. finito

finito Thread Starter

14. JohnWill

The 15dB directional antennas will do the 1km LOS distance pretty easily. If you don't have LOS, you're going to have significant difficulty with 802.11 transmission over those ranges. I can't imagine you getting LOS from the one 3km away. :)

I did a 3/4 mile run with a pair of Cantenna units on Linksys wireless equipment, those antennas are at least as good as the Cantenna ones. However, heavy rain did cause some interruptions in service.

15. finito

finito Thread Starter

oh LOS (Line of Sight).
    Can recommend some vendors. I have found a professional company i will be meeting with them today...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice