1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect 3 internet cafes via internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CoolNQuiet, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoolNQuiet

CoolNQuiet Thread Starter

Good day, I want to inquire if it is possible that I can connect the LAN's of all my internet cafe branches. They are situated about 100 meters in between. I thought of using LAN wires but city ordinance prohibits attaching LAN wires through city owned posts. That's why the only means might be via the internet.

Here are some pertinent specs and conditions existing.

Cafe1: 96 Units/windows xp sp3/4 DSL static connections via load balancer/router

Cafe2: 20 Units/windows xp sp3/1 DSL static connection via router

Cafe3: 120 Units/windows xp sp3/3 DSL static connection via load balancer/router

GOAL: My goal is to be able to connect these 3 groups so that players can be able to connect with each other for cooperative games.

Example:
    Unit 1 in Cafe 1 will create/host a LAN game in Warcraft DOTA and the rest of the units across all the 3 cafe's will be able to join in. That way they can play cooperatively without joining any server hosted games like Garena/battlenet etc....

Thank You very much. Have a good day! ^^

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

To connect these cafe's you could setup VPN's (Virtual Private networks) on the routers. WOuld need to know the specific make and model of router in order to help you any further with that though.

4. CoolNQuiet

Unfortunately no line of sight. The branches are more or less 100 meters away from each other. I considered using wireless signals but it's just too impractical considering inconsistencies and compromised integrity of the wireless connection. Also, I am not sure how wireless may be able to handle LAN hosted games.

I came upon VPN configuration while browsing the net but I am at a lose as how to proceed.

Ill try reading johnwill's posts.

-Thx

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

What types (make and model) of routers are you using at each site?

6. CoolNQuiet

My router is TP-LINK TL-R488T loadbalancer/router. I have one for each branch. It has 4 WAN connections each. I tried looking at its admin config but there's no mention of VPN.

-thx

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Looking for your routers specifics setup just now, will get back to you when i have the details to enable you to setup a VPN

8. zigglypuff

zigglypuff

i also have the same problem my ROUTER IS DI-LB604 Load Balancing Router

9. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Sorry took so long to get back to you.... been quite busy recently.... after some research, noticed that the routers you are using have no functionality ofr setting up VPN's. They do have VPN throughput but that will not help really much for what you are lookingt o setup.

Without getting new routers, it becomes a very difficult task. You could use a spare machine at each location to route all traffic and setup it to control router VPN connections since the router's cannot themselves. However not really practical and since you have pretty much no line of site for wireless.

My Advice would be get some new routers that have VPN functionality and setup VPN's between sites.

10. zigglypuff

zigglypuff

Hi Sir neil i also too have that same problem but i am using DI-LB604 ... i have having problems on how to set it up

11. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

what seems to be the problem? setting up a VPN on this router seems to be relatively straight forward
    set your tunnel list
    type tunnel name
    enable the tunnel
    select whether static or dynamic tunnel
    set local ip and subnet
    set remote ip and subnet
    set gateway ip or domain
    setup key if using
    can select ID for local or remote (optional)
    continue setup

If you need further help, just let me know the specifics of where you need the help.

12. zigglypuff

zigglypuff

sir after i have set this up. i have 10 units on my other cafe and to 10units to the other. can those units see each other through lan?

13. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

as long as you sites are all internally networked and setup using DHCP so they all have internal IP addresses e.g. PC1 = 192.168.123.1 and PC2 = 192.168.123.2 etc etc

please make sure that your router at different sites all have different lan addresses though otherwise you will come across a problem e.g. site1 = 192.168.123.x
    site2 = 192.168.124.x
    site3 = 192.168.125.x

Im assuming you already have the network setup individually at each site. once you have connected these sites via VPN, you should be able to connect to any of the PC's at any site as long as you have allowed incomming connections on each PC.

14. zigglypuff

zigglypuff

ok thanks very much sir i will try it today.. sir can ask for your email so i could get in touch with you. if its ok ?

15. zigglypuff

zigglypuff

oh btw sir.. can both cafe play together through LAN? like DOTA, etc?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice