Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to connect 3d 120Hz monitor to a gaming laptop with NVIDIA GTX 570M GPU ?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Vic2009 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I recently bought MSI GT780DXR-405US laptop and Samsung monitor S27A950d. I really want to use 27" with the laptop.

However, I am NOT sure which cable should I buy to utilize features of the laptop and 3d 120Hz monitor to the MAX? The monitor came with DVI -Dual cable. The laptop has NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 570M discrete graphics chip.

The laptop has following ports :

Ports
USB 2 x USB 3.0
3 x USB 2.0
Video Port
1 x VGA
HDMI
1 x HDMI
Other port
E-SATA only
Audio Ports
Yes

The monitor has following ports :

IInterface Type: DVI
HDMI
Display Port

Input Video Signal: HDMI
Display Port
24-pin DVI-D with HDCP

Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Features: Tilt
3D Ready
120Hz Motion

Thanks a LOT for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks a LOT for your reply. However, take a look at this discussion @ http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=HdpiCxbubRs. I REALLY got lost after reading this hence posed this question on the Tech Support guy forum.

One of the answer was - "Listen up everyone. In order to run 120 hertz 2d, you need a Dual Link DVI-D cable or a display port cable. HDMI cannot run anymore than 60 hertz at 1080p due to the cables limitations. Running 3d applications you will notice 60hertz but that is because 2 screens are being rendered and is splitting 120 hertz, so you are getting 120 hertz in 3d. The T model will not have the inputs to allow you to run 120 hertz so always buy the A95027 model."

another answer was - ' I use a DVI-D (Duel link), as far as I know SA750 can NOT do 120Hz in 2D with HDMI or DP(DisplayPort) the max it can do is around 60Hz in 2D at max resolution, It can do 60Hz per eye in 3D which sorta adds up to 120Hz... but its not actually 120Hz in 2D. But if your just talking about picture quality just go with a HDMI 1.4 it does it all, except 120Hz 2D. Some graphic cards have DP out. Your only hope might be a DP to DVI-D(duel link) adapter but I don't know for sure, good luck."

I am a tech savvy guy BUT now...my head is spinning. I hope you will HELP ME OUT. What are the pros & cons of using HDMI v/s say using VGA-DVI-Dual adapter (if it exists). .

I do not why DVI-Dual cable came withe monitor?

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=HdpiCxbubRs

#4 ·
And that is true to take advantage of 3D and 120hz. You don't have that option as you are using a laptop and your outputs are limited. The only ports in common between your laptop and the monitor are HDMI.

The monitor will work fine over HDMI. If you want 3D and 120hz support, time for a new PC/laptop.

#5 ·
If you want 3D and 120hz support, time for a new PC/laptop. - it is a NEW gaming laptop- bought last week. It is a GAMING laptop and I selected over Alienware MX18 gaming laptop from DELL. I, also, spoke with MSI tech guy and he said the NVIDIA GTX 570X supports 3d. Am I missing something here or did I miss something in choosing a laptop?

Here is the website for this laptop - http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=336.

#6 ·
The chipset supports it, but there are numerous versions of that chipset.

As you have already stated, you need a DVI (Dual Link capable) or Display Port output to use those options with that monitor. The Laptop does not have either of those, it only has HDMI.

#7 ·
I have ordered 2 sets of cable 1)HDMI-2-HDMI and 2) DVI-2-HDMI. HDMI-2-HDMI is NO brainer. And after I got rather tepid responses to my query I want to try out HDMI to DVY. I will APPRECIATE if some other senior person chime in on this as a second opinion -----Sorry.....ODDba11. I am NOT going to buy a new pc/desktop and will keep this monitor and want to utilize maximum features of these two e.g. 3d & 120 Hz motion. So, PLEASE feel to chime in.

Thanks a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.