1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect a DSL modem to a D-link DIR-815 router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by php111, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. php111

php111 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I am new to setting up routers since I never bought a router before. This is the first time I actually bought one. I ordered the D-link DIR-815 router online at Walmart.com, and I'll be receiving it this Monday which is the 14th, so I am asking my questions on here now, so I could be prepared. Please let me know what questions everyone has one for me.

1.) I don't have a wireless card in my PC, so I will be connecting wired to get WiFi via WAN and LAN ports, right? First before I forget, I have a Windows 7 32-bit desktop PC if that helps. We are working with a DSL modem residential line without phone line using a coaxial cable, and Ethernet cable from modem into the PC. May someone please provide step by step walk through instructions by connecting this D-link router to my modem and WiFi, and for me to use the WPA2 security?

2.) I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon. If I want to use my iPhone to get WiFi from the router, and turn off the Internet on my phone, and use WiFi only on my phone, how would this work?

Thank you if someone could provide info!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unplug the modem and shut down the computer.

Connect modem to router's WAN port and computer to a LAN port.

Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer.

Assuming that modem is really just a modem login to the router and set the WAN (Internet) configuration appropriately--probably PPPoE and your account/password. You should now have internet access, and can configure the wireless as desired.

I don't know if the iPhone by default switches to Wi-Fi when available. Look in Settings or in the User Guide.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    P.S.--most people requesting help here seem to avoid user guides at all cost. Many people trying to provide help recommend consulting user guides. You will get a user guide on CD with your new router or you can begin reading now if you like on D-Link's web site. :)

4. php111

php111 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for that info!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. php111

php111 Thread Starter

Do I need a wireless card/adapter in order to get WiFi for the D-link DIR-815 router?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand your question. The DIR-815 is a wireless router. You can connect computers/devices to it via ethernet or Wi-Fi. For a device to connect by Wi-Fi it needs a wireless adapter.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice