How to connect a Verizon hotspot device to a PC via USB?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sealio

Hello, I have recently moved into a new house. This house does not get any cable internet, and I would rather not use DSL as this house is a bit far from the town where the DSL line starts. Satellite internet is not an option either as it does not meet my needs. I do however, get good LTE connection here (<40ms latency) and thought that getting a hotspot from Verizon wouldn't be such a bad idea. I am aware of the somewhat high price of the data. I don't need to much data though. I usually don't watch any Netflix or HD videos at all. So I am set on getting one of those Verizon hotspot devices. Before I get the device I would like to know some things. Can I connect the hotspot device to my computer using the USB? I know the USB is used to charge the device, but could you also use it for giving the connection to a computer? My computer has no internal wifi adapter on the motherboard, and I don't want to use the wifi USB adapter I have because I am afraid that will slow the connection down. And if I can do that, how? Would I need to download a driver to be able to do that? I am able to do that as I have dish satellite internet here for now. I tried to hook up my phone via USB to my computer earlier today and use its hotspot to get a connection that would get me by for now. This didn't work. That concerns me because if I can't hook up my phone hotspot, how can I hook up the Verizon one? Will I need a USB to Ethernet port adapter? Could I hook up a routers Ethernet port to my computer and then plug the hotspot into the USB port that Is on the router? I'm sorry for all these questions. Help will be appreciated. Thank you!

TerryNet

Terry
I'm pretty sure that the answer is "no; you need to connect to the hotspot via Wi-Fi." However, I encourage you to study whatever info you can find online about the particular Verizon hotspot(s) and to call them with your specific questions.

My advice is to just use the USB wireless adapter you already have. If you have a really old 802.11b adapter your download speed will be limited to about 6 Mbps. Surely you have at least 802.11g, which will allow speeds up to about 25 Mbps. The 6 and 25 numbers I wrote are actual data throughput, not the nominal connection speeds given as 11 and 54 Mbps, respectively.

Even the 6 Mbps for 'b' will probably not significantly slow your cellular data service.

TerryNet

Terry
I tried to hook up my phone via USB to my computer earlier today and use its hotspot to get a connection that would get me by for now. This didn't work.
I've never tried that. I used a USB connection way in the past to connect to a (cable) modem that had a USB port. To use it I needed to install a driver for the modem. I suspect (don't know, just suspect) that you need to install a driver for the phone. Have you done so?

For somebody to help you on this aspect they probably need to know your phone brand/model/OS and exactly what you did and in what way it didn't work. Any error message? Does the phone user guide have any instructions for doing this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online