1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect ethernet port of machine wireless to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charlie-Brown, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am trying to connect a cnc machine to a PC (win 7) with no wires.

The machine has the capability to see files on the PC when hard wired with an Ethernet cable. The machine is given the ip address and folder location (on the PC), and it looks at this folder from which files can be loaded into the machines memory.

I want to get rid of the Ethernet cable as it has to run across the workshop.

Can anyone tell me the best, easiest way to do this??
    I figured using a wireless dongle or router in place of the hard wire. Not sure how to set this up?
    Given the controller is not a windows pc does this change the way in which it must be set up?? As stated above, the machine can see the windows folder when hardwired.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance,

Charlie.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you have to start with? By this I mean does the cnc machine have Wi-Fi capability? If not, can you add it? Does the PC have Wi-Fi capability? Do you have a wireless router or wireless access point?

3. Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,

No the machine does not have WiFi capability. Just an Ethernet and USB port to transfer programs. I would like to add it if that's a good option. The PC has WiFi and is connected to the network. The network is accessed via a router and I have a spare router which can be used at the machine if need be. Like a bridge setup?

So if possible I would like to plug the machine Ethernet port into a router, and have that router bridge to the network. This way the machine can see folders in the PC (which is also on the network). So would this work? I'm not sure of the process to have the router at the machine see the network? Is it as simple as to just plug it into the machine and direct the machine to a folder on the PC/network? Or is there some configuring needed?

Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The simplest solution would be to connect the cnc machine to the existing router via ethernet. I assume that is a non-starter because of distance.

I suggest a Wireless Bridge (examples), which will connect to the existing router via Wi-Fi and to which the cnc machine will connect via ethernet. Some routers have the Wireless Bridge (also called AP Client) mode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice