1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect firewall to my WiFi network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tebilon, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tebilon

tebilon Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Let me explain my current situation before asking my question:
    I have a Motorola Netopia7347-44 VDSL modem/router (with WiFi). The type of signal that I get from my ISP is analogue for phone, TV and intenet.
    This modem has an input for the Internet connection (dynamic IP address) and provides the IP addresses and connection for the other devices connected to it (via WiFi or cable), such as the TV over IP box, laptops, iPads and smart phones.
    I would like to implement content filtering on my WiFi network in order to avoid access to some websites, and my modem/router doesn´t provide this feature (or at least I can´t find it with my ISP´s configuration).

I thought about using OpenDNS, but since I have a dynamic IP address and I can´t install an updater on all the devices, then this solution didn´t work.

The next idea I have is getting a physical Firewall.
    Question: I am wondering if I can just connect the Intenet cable (that comes from the splitter between phone and Internet) to the Firewall, then I connect a RJ-45 cable from the firewall to my existing modem/router and should that be all (besides configuring content filtering on the firewall)?

What should I take into account regarding the IP addresses? Should I enable the DHCP server in the firewall (I assume that most come with one), and disable the DHCP server in the modem?

Any guidance around this topic would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks.(y)

2. kanfaar

kanfaar

You seem to have the general idea. In fact, the idea would be to turn off DHCP on the old (wireless) router and enter the address of the new router as the old one's gateway. That's pretty much all it would 'generally' take. However, if you have VDSL, then you would need to purchase another VDSL router. In which case, you might as well just purchase one that has the wireless and not have to worry about all of the configuration issues.

However, I looked up the Netopia 7347-44 router and, from what I could find in the manual, it appears as though it does have a firewall already built into it. Check it out here: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/Wireline%20Networks/Gateways_and_Routers/DSL_Gateways_and_Routers/7347-44_7357-44%20Netopia%20Voice%20Integrated%20Access%20Device%20Gateways/_Documents/_Static%20files/7347-44%20Data%20Sheet-556054-001-b.pdf Al right, that's not the *complete* manual, but it specifically states that it has 'Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall'. Might want to browse around in the router configuration utility and see what you can find.

If that's not your router, then you should be able to simply do as above and be good to go...

Good Luck!

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As a side note, you only need to install the OpenDNS Updater on ONE PC and it'll handle it for the whole network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice