1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect laptop to PC via ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by douglasdelay, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. douglasdelay

douglasdelay Thread Starter

How do I setup a direct connection between my laptop running Win2000 and my pc running XP. I don't want to use a router, I just want a direct connection using a ethernet crossover cable. I can't seem to find any step by step guides on how to do this. Hope someone can help.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

In the TCP/IP properties of one client type in 192.168.1.1 for the IP and the Subnet of 255.255.255.0 and in the other clients TCP/IP properties type in 192.168.1.2 for the IP and the same subnet. Then if you want to file share you need to enable file and print sharing and set them both to the same workgroup and all that jazz.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

You're going to need a crossover cable or switch. If you're sharing an internet connection, I'd recommend getting a 4-port switch. They're super cheap, and make your network run well.

4. douglasdelay

How do I set them to the same workgroup? Also, I don't want them to share an internet connection, I'm just interested in sharing files between them. Can I just plug the crossover cable direct from the laptop to the PC without the use of a router?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "How do I set them to the same workgroup?"

On XP right click on "My Computer" - Properties - Computer Name tab - change - will give you the opportunity to change the name and/or workgroup. I think Win 2k Pro is the same. Restart the PC after making a change.

Direct crossover cable is fine. If you want to test for communication between the PCs, here is one way.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost? Packets lost usually means bad cable or a firewall is blocking.

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

6. douglasdelay

Hooked up both computers using a brand new crossover ethernet cable. When I tried to ping the other's IP address all packets were lost.

Sent = 4 Recieved = 0 Lost = 4 (100% Loss)

I turned off all firewalls on both computers, including windows firewall. The ethernet cable is brand new, so I cannot figure out why they won't communicate.

If I hover over each computers LAN connection in the system tray, it says that they are connected.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Many people have found the 3rd party firewalls "disabled" or "turned off" still block various access. They have to uninstall or properly configure them for LAN access.

8. douglasdelay

I'm using Zonealarm and Bitdefender. Any suggestions?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I'm using Zonealarm and Bitdefender. Any suggestions?"

At the risk of stating the obvious, do what others have done: uninstall or properly configure them for LAN access.

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Now for the other obvious question why run firewalls between 2 locally connected and hardwired conmputers in the first place?

11. douglasdelay

The reason they both have firewalls is because I am only connecting them to share files and that's it. I have huge files to transfer from my laptop to my PC and the laptop does not have a burner on it. Only have a 256 usb key. The only way for me to get the large files off the laptop is to connect these buggers together. But unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen.

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

Wait a minute..

Run and ipconfig on both machines and see if your gateway and subnet mask are the same on both machines. Since you aren't using a switch or router (or other DHCP server), you'll have to manually configure your TCP stack.

Make sure the gateway and subnet mask are the same. You can assign any 2 IP addresses you want. (The gateway should come from whatever you use to connect to the internet, assuming that it's not a dialup)

If your subnet isn't the same, your computers won't see each other, because they don't know they're on the same LAN. That's a security measure. Make sure the subnet mask is the same on the 2 machines.

13. douglasdelay

The subnet mask number is the same on both machines. The default Gateway is blank on both machines. Yes, I am using dial-up if this makes a difference.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'd streamline the process a bit if you'd just post the output of IPCONFIG for the two machines.

15. douglasdelay

I have given up on this. This is classic computer networking b.s. It's just not going to work, and I'll never know why.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice