How to connect laptops for a LAN party?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SPL Tech

I am going to have a LAN party with about 3 other people. I am wondering what I need for equipment and how to go about creating a Ethernet LAN so we can play together. We want to play P2P, not over the Internet.

TerryNet

Terry
For n computers an n-port ethernet switch and n ethernet (CAT5E) cables.

Also you may want to add a power strip or 2 as well with "n" computers your gonna need some juice. :)

Another side note buy the n ethernet cables for the max distance. It would suck to buy some small ones but not get the computer into proximity to play.

SPL Tech

Ok is there anything else other then cat 5e cable I need? I just wanted to make sure that was the correct device I needed. I have never used or bought a gigabyte switch before, and this is my first local LAN party. Could you go through how I need to set up the network once I have all the comps plugged in? We will all be using either XP Home or Vista Home. Most of us will have Vista Home. Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Connect them to the switch.

Make sure any 3rd party firewalls are allowing LAN access.

Easiest is to use dynamic addressing; each computer will be self-assigned an IP of type 169.254.x.y; when I've done this with wireless with 3 PCs it has taken up to a minute, so be patient.

Depending on your needs you may decide to use static IP addresses. These could be assigned on the TCP/IP Properties General tab or on the Alternate Configuration tab. If you go this way I suggest assigning 10.0.0.x (0 < x < 255), mask = 25.255.255.0 to each. If you need to know specific person's IP, I suggest going this way. It's more work to setup, but a heck of a lot easier to remember the exact IP addresses.

SPL Tech

What is dynamic addressing? And more so how to I activate it or whatever I need to do. I have no idea where I go to change IP addresses.

SPL Tech

Well I have been told by many that I should use DHCP and if I do so then all I need to do is plug all the comps in and everything else is automatic. Well how do I initiate DHCP? Is it fully automated or do I have to start it somewhere?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need a DHCP server in the mix somewhere. Normally, that's the broadband router for your Internet service.

How about describing the complete network you currently have?

TerryNet

Terry
"You need a DHCP server in the mix somewhere."

Not! :)

He's planning on using a switch--no internet desired. The PCs will each get assigned an APIPA.

SPL Tech

I am not on a network. I will not be connecting to the net. We just want to game against each other. Everyone that will be on the network will be in the room. I will not be connected to any outside LAN's, or WAN's.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's been my experience that using Automatic Private IP Addressing for networking is less than 100% effective, so I'd have to recommend static IP addresses, all in the same class C network.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online