How to connect Multiple hard disks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yarnos

Hi i have just landed 5 hard disks 1x 60 gig hhd 1x120 gig 2x 80 gig 1x 40 gig my main hhd are 2X 320gig drives? Is there a way which i can use the 5 hhd so i can store pictures & music files?? is there a way to connect all these drive via one usb cable? or whats the best way to connect all these hhd

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
What type are the five drives (IDE or SATA, internal or external)?

yarnos

they are internal hhd with ide connections( 40 pins with grey cable) which i have recovered from redunadant machines.. Can these hhd build a server ? or how can i incorporate them and make them useful to store images and soundtracks????

Or, if your PC case has enough internal space and a PSU with sufficient power, you could just get an extra IDE controller card and hook up all the extra HDDs to it.

yarnos

thank you all for your information i think i will build a NAS box

yarnos,
the nice part about going nas / file server,
you don't have to be concerned with a lot of 'external' cables,
just lying around 'cluttering things up'
or getting 'yanked' out,
ol' pc cases work just great,
already has mounts for power supply and drives
the only cable you need is the cat-5,
[AND the power cord],
personally,
i would 'hard-wire' it, rather than wireless,
wire is faster, AND, security is then NOT an issue,
even put it somewhere it's not noticed,
word of caution though,
you didn't say where you live,
so DON'T just 'stuff-it-in-a-closet'
it will need some ventilation,
especially if you live in a warmer part of the globe,
so consider the summer temps,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts