1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect my computer using VPN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thedeadghost, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedeadghost

thedeadghost Thread Starter

:) I would like to connect my home computer to a computer at my local cyber cafe. I would like to use the high speed connection they use at the cafe at my place.

The cafe does not have a server setup. All are windows xp machines but one of the machine is what they call a server. The internet connection comes into that computer and then is sent across other computers using some kind of software ( will post again with the detailed information ). The server has 2 lan cards, one for the internet connection and one for the network.

There is a dialer to dial the connection to the ISP and onces connected it gives out a dynamic address.

At my place i have windows 2003 server enterprise edition. My ISP also assigns dynamic address onces i dial using the dialer. Both of us use the same service provider called Pacenet.

My lan card has a ip address like 12.0.0.1 and once i connect to the internet the isp provides a dynamic address on the connection created by the dialer.

I want to connect my computer to the cafe's server. It should be like using the Remote Desktop. I should be able to log on to the machine and be able to see the desktop and and be able to download what ever i like. It should not disturb them with their work.

Is this possible using VPN ? Should i go for some third party program like symantec pc anywhere ? I want it to make it as easy as possible. I can make any changes to their server if necessary unless it does not screw up their connection :)

Hope you can help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is your intent to dial into their network to take advantage of their high-speed connection? If so, that's not possible. You'd still be on dial-up because that's what you'd be using to connect to their network.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I should be able to log on to the machine and be able to see the desktop and and be able to download what ever i like"

If that is the goal, can you just do that from the computer you are on at home?

4. thedeadghost

DoubleHelix : I do not use dial up. I have the same kind of cable connection they use. The only difference is in the type of plan i got a low plan at home which is 78kbs while they have a 256kbps line. I have a lan card and i am using cable.

Bob Cerelli : Well the whole idea is to be at home and use their computer to download stuff from my place, its my friends cafe so he would not mind me doing that :)

5. jmwills

jmwills

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"the whole idea is to be at home and use their computer to download stuff from my place"

Still not sure exactly what you want to accomplish. You want to be at home, to connect to the other computer. to download from your place? Again, why not just download from your place to begin with.

This will determine whether you use VPN or Remote Desktop. They are two totally different types of connections to provide different solutions.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't see how you can use your slow connection to connect to a faster connected network to achieve faster connection speeds. You're limited by your connection speed. Simple as that.

8. thedeadghost

Thanks for the information guys.. Will give it a try and update you..

9. thedeadghost

Bob Cerelli : Well the reason i want to sit back at home and use their computer to download stuff over the internet is I have subscribed to a lower plan while they have a corporate plan, I want to get access to their desktop and work in the background. I will be able to use application like bit torrent after downloading it on their computer and i can transfer the files once they are downloaded to my computer.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Well, those were the magic words. :rolleyes:
    Now you're on your own. Read the TSG rules.

11. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I'm closing this thread. Please read the forum rules before posting again. We will not help you with this activity.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice