1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect my phone sockets to the master socket

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by rippa1889, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rippa1889

rippa1889 Thread Starter

I live in a new house and the master socket is connected, but I would like to connect the rest of the sockets in the house. When I pull back the front of the external sockets the blue and orange wires are connected as shown in on-line diagrams. With some green wires in there that are connected to nothing.

But when I take off the master socket (the bit you can move) there are only 2 orange and 2 green wires that can be connected. The blue wires are already connected to the master socket behind that, the bit I shouldnt touch.

I have tried connecting just the orange wires to where they should be but to no avail. Any ideas?

rikki

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

call your phone provider or the person that did the wiring...

why weren't the "rest of the sockets" connected in the first place?

really need a picture of what you are talking about... "master socket"

3. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello, Rippa!

Like Buck stated, you might want to describe the term "socket" a little more.

Minimally, most phones will work off of two wires. However, typical installations will install 4-8 (maybe more) conductors in the box. Thus, there will be extras.

I think Buck's advice is good. If this is a new house and you're having problems with the phone, they should come and fix it.

All your phone sockets should be connected by the same two conductors (for one line). If you want a second line, you will use two different conductors (and the phone company will connect to those two conductors at the incoming spot on the house).

NOTE: There is some low voltage present on the phone wires. It's not much, but if you're grounded, it will get your attention.:)

4. wacor

wacor Banned

I take care of my own house wiring so never had the telco come in to fix anything. but at my business they make it clear they are responsible for the wiring up to the terminal blocks where the lines enter the building. anything after that is not their responsibility and they will charge to correct it.

if residential is the same then I would guess if this is a new home that the builder would be responsible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice