How to connect NAS to WIFI

ethmar

Hi,
I realize this is not a standard question and please mind that I am no computer master. Just a user who know more or less what I want to achieve.

So I have this simple NAS _WITHOUT_ a WIFI module. So far I've been using it on a simple switch with two computers quite independently from a wifi that is available.

Things have changed and I need to hook up my NAS to wifi, so the files can be accessed both in a local network and outside.

I have an old CISCO WRT120N wireless router.

HERE'S THE QUESTION
how can I connect my NAS to the ROUTER and make the router act both as a switch for a wired connection as well as a WIRELESS bridge to the wifi for the file server?

I imagine the router needs to be in some sort of client mode to get internet over the air (NO CABLE CONNECTION POSSIBLE). Then I need to provide access to the files over wifi both in the building and with a gate outside (over internet).

So, am I just dreaming or is this possible without any extra hardware?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tomek

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
am I just dreaming or is this possible without any extra hardware?
Looking through this user guide the WRT120N does not seem to have a Wireless Client (or Wireless Bridge) function. You may want to read more closely or look through the various possible modes (if any) on the actual router.

You may want to check if there is DD-WRT (or similar) firmware for the router, and if that firmware would give you the functionality you desire.

There is some reason you cannot connect the NAS via ethernet to your (main) wireless router, right?

ethmar

You may want to check if there is DD-WRT (or similar) firmware for the router, and if that firmware would give you the functionality you desire.
Thanks, gives me an idea of what I can do... Still DD-WRT doesn't support my router model. Could you point me in another direction, please? For me it's like hacking, and I have no clue what I am doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online