1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Connect the Antenna Cables to a Mini PCI Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Michael9009, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michael9009

Michael9009 Thread Starter

I have just replaced the 802.11b Intel PRO 2100 wireless adapter in my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop computerwith an 802.11b/g Intell PRO 2200BG. I am confused about connecting the antenna cables to the new mini PCI board. Originally, the grey cable was connected to the Main connector and the black cable to the Aux connector. This is how Dell shipped the computer with the 2100. However, the Installation Guide for the new adapter (2200BG) indicates that the black cable should be connected to Main and the grey to Aux. How would I know which connection configuration is correct? Thanks.

P.S. I don't know if this is of any relevance, but the Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG adapter appears to be intended for HP computers. The drivers CD has HP on it and the Installation Guide is "Copyright 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.". Is the antenna cable colour standardised among computer brand manufacturers?

2. Michael9009

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, I'd connect the main cable to the main cable connector. You could always swap them to see if the range is better the other way. :)

4. Michael9009

But that's the problem... I am not sure which one is the main cable, the grey or the black... :confused:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are only two possibilities, try them both ways and leave them in the position that works the best.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/676643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice