1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect to the internet from a different location

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GLYNNROY, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

My friend has a computer and he wants me to have a look at it as it has a few problems on it and he wants me to instal some spy ware on it.

The problem is he has given me the computer to look at, but he his with, tiscali and he is on dial up, where I am with talk talk and I am on broadband and I will need to download the latest definitions for the programs to remove any offenders on there.

Is there any way for me to be able to connect to the internet using his computer and my home address, baring in mind we have no software for any of the isp`s.

I thought maybe there might be a way to alter internet explorer’s settings for me to get on, any help would be appreciated.(y)

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If his computer has a network adapter you can plug your Internet network cable to that and use a browser, you don't have to use his connection, username, sign it anywhere...you are using your service.

If you have a router and intend to have your own machine connected during the time his is, be somewhat careful.

You never know what type of malware is running and I dont know if you have filesharing enabled, as on a home network.

If your setup has just a broadband modem, and you can only get one machine online at a time, then just use his when you are fixing this issue.

You can install a network card if it is a tower, or, use a USB connected cable, if your broadband modem or access point has that type of use. There are also USB adapters you can use.

Your ISP's IP address may remain in the networking settings, so you want to be prepared, to release and renew IP address. This is more common when you have a router.

3. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Hi :)

Thanks for the reply.

Quite allot to take in and I probably haven’t made myself clearer enough which is obviously my fault.

His computer is a tower and not a laptop and I was under the impression that if I plug his computer in and connect to my phone line that I would not be able to get a connection due to the ip address of his and mine conflicting.

Would I be right in saying then that I could just plug his computer in at my home address and connect it up to the phone line I would be able to get connected to the internet even though he is on dial up and I am on broadband and we have different isp providers(y)

4. Byteman

Hi, I understand you perfectly, but I may not have given you help clearly. Here> He has a tower- you use broadband. You use either wireless or wired service, which is either DSL or cable or satellite. His tower uses dialup over the phone line.

In all cases except perhaps sat, you can install a network adapter card, wireless or wired, in his computer OR it may already have an Ethernet (network, broadband Port) in it which you can plug your access network cable into, and that will let that tower on the Internet, using a browser like Internet Explorer or whichever is on it.

The network adapter will use the IP address from your ISP's connection device the same as your computer does. All a router does, is clone the IP address to several computers at once, allowing them all Internet use at the same time...a great thing they are!

The dialup ISP is only for his computer, and of course it would work over your phone line, but if you have broadband, why would you use that? ONLY if you needed access to his account- so if you do, use the dialup, log in, or if you need to test the dialup modem, by all means, it should work (if the modem does.) Some (not all) ISPs have broadband and dialup service, here AOL does so you can sign in with either.

The settings for most computers are so that you can use both together, dialup or broadband-
    and, they are automatically detected in most cases. Once his computer has a network card, it will connect using any browser I would say... You might only have to set the dialup account as not default, because when you open say for example, an Instant Messaging program, that uses the Internet, the dialup connection box will come up...a very minor thing to change and not a problem.

Your IP address will not conflict with his, you can usually use any computer at a broadband location like your place...provided, the computer that you want to get online has an Ethernet (broadband, or network) adapter of some type. Modern computers usually have these ports built in, but it may have an added in network card- only looking for it on the back of the computer will tell you. His may have one, but he uses dialup service with the phone modem....but his computer will still connect to your ISP.

I was mentioning if his is a tower because you could not install a normal Ethernet/network card into a laptop, would have to be a PCMCIA or credit card type LAN adapter (they connect to your network cable/Internet access device like DSL modem, broadband cable modem, router, etc.)

Doing this is perfectly acceptable, I don't see what you are not getting. His computer is just connected to the Internet, not your account, unless your ISP requires you to log on manually...and even then, it is fine to do.

The one problem I have seen, is if you have a router (a device that hooks to the Internet access device, cable modem, etc, that allows you to use a number of computers at the same location ie...your home, business, etc. The router hands out IP addresses since it is designed to, to each computer you connect, mine allows 4 other hookups....the IP address may "stick" in his computer, but it is easy to clear by
    using a built into Windows tool> ipconfig. Sounds like there is no router involved, you just have one PC, correct? Then, your IP address should not "stick" in his computer.

I do this all the time, as work, I have broadband cable, use a router, and I assure you I can bring any computer here that uses dialup service at the person's home, and connect with it here, by phone line OR hook it to my ISP's cable modem, if I install a network card temporarily, or, it already has one.
    Now, this works with United States dialup providers, like AOL. Netscape, and all the others....if there is something different about where you are, I would be surprised.

As I said, I work on a lot of computers here, I install network cards in those that use dialup to get them updated, downloads I need, online antivirus scans, etc. If they want the card left in, in case they later switch to broadband, I charge them and it stays in.

5. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the details.

you put

In all cases except perhaps sat, you can install a network adapter card, wireless or wired, in his computer OR it may already have an Ethernet (network, broadband Port) in it which you can plug your access network cable into, and that will let that tower on the Internet, using a browser like Internet Explorer or whichever is on it.

I dont think he has a ethernet connection and I am certain I dont have a network adapter card to connect his computer up.

I understand where you are coming from the etherenet connection is the yellow wire I have used this when sorting out a wireless connection of one of my friends previously.

Thanks for anyway it must have took you a while to write all that.(y)

6. Byteman

Hi, What kind of broadband is it then? You must have some kind of network adapter- don't you have a small external device with flashing lights....? And, a thicker than a phone wire Category 5 or 6 Ethernet cable going into the computer from that device?

It's either wired or wireless, but you would still have a device- at least in the computer, to accept wireless service. (With a notebook that has built in wireless adapter you can "roam" around and you can connect, for example at a restaurant, hotel, airport, etc.)

You CAN use the phone line, if his computer does not have any network port and you do not have or cannot get a network adapter card installed in it, even temporarily.

His computer itself, on the motheboard, may have a network port (also called Ethernet) so check for one. They are usually on the back, along with the keyboard etc connector ports. There is no taking apart anything in that case, the port is all you need. If a network card had to be installed, then you do have to open the computer up.

You can plug a network cable into that, and from whatever device you get Internet through....it sounds like you are using a wireless service and have used a cable to connect that other pc, so it also sounds like there is a broadband modem.
    If you just pick up service with the notebook, as in cities that provide that type of wireless service, then of course there would be nothing to plug a network cable into.

For instance: My son has a friend next door, who is cheap and won't pay for his own Internet service. Friend discovered that he could connect for free, after buying a wireless gateway/router since a business or resident near enough has wireless service which friend's device can connect to the Internet with. The kid is using that "free" service to connect a computer, and his Xbox. And, for awhile I was providing friend's free service, as my son snuck that wireless gateway device into the house here, and connected it to my broadband router, but all that changed when I discovered it.
    Now, he uses his wireless gateway, back in his apartment.

All in all, even if your friend's computer has no network adapter, it will dialup from your place, but what you have to watch out for, is phone bills> here anyway, you have to use the toll free number provided by the ISP and if the friend is far away, your local number for that same ISP may be different, so check it out.

For example> where I am, there are two AOL phone numbers that work just like a toll free number, but AOL has many numbers, and if you connect using one that is not your local toll free one, you will be billed long distance toll charges.

That may or may not hold where you are, and if your friend uses the same local toll free ISP number that you would if you used that same dialup service,then it is not a problem.

I would seriously look into using the broadband service while fixing his computer, and even if your service is wireless, if you do have a broadband device such as a cable or DSL modem, they normally have a network port to run a network cable to a computer, so all his computer would need is a network adapter device, which could be an installed add in wired or wireless network card, or external USB wireless adapter.
    Wireless devices like that abound, here they run anywhere from US $30 on up, probably some less these days, and a decent network card runs about US $8.00 and up.

As I said, computers are able to use both dialup and broadband, for a time I had AOL dialup and switched to high speed cable through the TV company but still could dial before AOL's term was done.

His computer will pick up the IP address at your place, and as I said, sometimes these will "stick with" a computer you bring over but there is an easy fix for that by clearing and renewing the IP address once he is back at home.

PS- I don't mind posting a long reply at all, if it will help someone, perhaps someone else may read it and use this info.

7. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

8. Byteman

Hi, I can't tell you what color to use, it's just the network port- same size and shape as one in back of his computer, provided his has one. Looks like a telephone plug or port, slightly bigger though.

I would ask your Internet service tech support- or refer to the manual for the device if you have one.

It should show you what any port or plug is for.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice