1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Connect To Wireless Network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bizwiz2, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion zx5369cl laptop with Windows XP home. I would like to be able to access the internet wirelessly.

When I go to network connections, choose properties on the wireless connection, & then select Wireless networks tab, there is one wireless network listed (named korea) and it is supposed to connect automatically when available. When I click on View Wireless Networks, it says none were found in range. However, korea network is also on my desk top & it says the signal is strong & I am able to connect on my desk top.

On my laptop it says to check if the wireless network switch is on or off. Where do I find that switch?

In related issue, if I change locations with my laptop, might I have to use a network other than korea? If so, how do I install another wireless network?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that older HP Pavilions had the wireless switch above the left side of the keyboard. Also, there may be a WLAN Assistant that over-rides the physical switch. I have a Pavilion from 2007 that has a slide switch on the front of the laptop and one from 2010 that has a pressure switch above the right side of the keyboard.

3. bizwiz2

bizwiz2 Thread Starter

OK, thanks. I found the switch. It's above the keyboard--right above the f8 key.

I connected to the wireless network but it says I have limited or no connectivity. It says to click "repair" to try to establish full connectivity. When I do that, it goes through the steps of disconnecting & reconnecting & then gets hung up on "renewing IP address." It finally gives up & says that it could not complete that action. Any ideas of what I can do?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounded in your initial post that you may have a profile for that wireless network. If so, delete the profile and try again to connect to the network.

If still failing install, or reinstall, the latest wireless driver from HP's web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice