1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to connect TWO computers using ONE cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by faraz27989, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faraz27989

faraz27989 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have two computers - one desktop and one laptop, and one LAN cable. I have several large files on the desktop which I need to transfer to my laptop. How do I connect the two computers using a LAN cable so I can just copy and paste the files from one computer to another. I've seen it done so many times! hmmm.
    Please help,

Faraz

2. eduardo

eduardo

Hi, You need a cross over cable to be able to connect both computers directly

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you mean by connecting ethernet ports in each of the two computers, you connect a CROSS-OVER ethernet (CAT5) cable between them. And then "set up a home or small office network" with file and printer sharing.

4. faraz27989

faraz27989 Thread Starter

hmmm, okay i'll try that.
    i'll post if it works or not.
    thanks.

5. Ram_maR

Ram_maR

I am too having the same problem. Faraz any success, I am facing the same problem like you. Let me know if your problem was fixed.

6. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

I would probably plug that one ethernet cord to a switch and you'll get four more ports. If you go with the cross-over solution you won't have access to your internet connection.

7. Naruto2004

Naruto2004

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice