1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HOw to Connect wifi broadband to Wifi Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ellie21, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellie21

ellie21 Thread Starter

I just want to know if its possible to connect your wifi broadband to wifi router? and if it is, How?

2. LIS333

LIS333

I may be misunderstanding you but if you're getting WiFi out of your broadband appliance already, you don't need a router. If you do want to use a WiFi router, you're not going to be using the WiFi signal from the broadband appliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ellie21

ellie21 Thread Starter

ahm! its kinda like this, i have a pocket wifi and a router that doesn't have a wifi. i want the wifi on my pocket wifi to be able to connect to my router. Is that even possible?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The pocket wifi is, in part, a wireless router. It creates an infrastructure wireless network, which means that devices with the proper wireless capabilities connect to it. It does not connect via Wi-Fi to other devices. Since your router does not have Wi-Fi capability it cannot connect to a wireless network.

5. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Banned

yes it is possible but not recommended as you may end up running "double NAT " and its just very impractical to do that.

[irrelevant words deleted by mod]

I just want to know if its possible to connect your wifi broadband to wifi router?
    i will assume you mean "your wifi enabled broadband device to a seperate wifi enabled router" ... the answer is yes you can connect your wifi broadband to wifi router
    and if it is, How?
    you can try connecting the LAN port of your "wifi broadband" device to the WAN port of your "wifi router"

NOTE: once again this is not recommended as you may have issues and may possibly be double NATTING and mots people would consider this not properly setup correctly if you do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

XeoNox,

Having a double NAT is not a big deal with inside out traffic flows. The only time where it presents a challenge and it's still doable is if you're doing port forwarding in a double NAT situation. I find it hilarious you're flagging a double NAT as being an issue when you go about recommending a VPN tunnel to move traffic between two LAN segments in the same physical location.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

OP,

Terry is correct in his reply. More specifically, the pocket wifi device sounds more like a MiFi device. I assume this device is using a cellular carrier to get Internet service like Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T. If you want to use a router to distribute the service to more devices, there are some routers out there which has a WiFi as WAN functionality. Cradlepoint supports this.

But the MiFi devices I've seen will support at least 5 wireless clients. For the MiFi I have, there's a hack to the config file which I can allow more. But there is a practical limit as to how many devices should be connected to a device like this along with the performance constraints of sharing a cellular connection.

123Zbyniek likes this.
  8. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

Depending on the type of MiFi (input - RJ45, WiFi, 3G / 4G, output - RJ45, WiFi / quantity) and router type (eg WiFi only) it is possible if it can work in WISP mode (it receives WiFi signal and broadcasts WiFi signal) .
    I use this solution in case of main network failure - MiFi + 3G modem -> TP-LINK MR3020 router (in WISP mode) -> WiFi devices (laptop, tablet, desktop).
    upload_2017-7-28_13-2-53.png

P.S.
    MR3020 also have USB port for 3G ( I am using to connect a modem from an alternative network).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Banned

@zx10guy it can be quite a problem IF its a modem w/ router and it sets to 192.168.1.1 first before it acquires isp's ip and he hooks up another router that has the same ip and that is quite common that happens with people that dont know any better in the real world (if u deal with alot of people)

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

You're now bringing up a totally different problem than a purely technical discussion. What you're talking about is a configuration/user expertise problem which no matter what solution you propose is going to be a problem. I'm not sure what bearing acquiring an DHCP address has on the internal network as it has none.

I use a double NAT configuration all the time. The setup I'm using that has double NAT is a secure remote layer 2 extension technology. I've demo'd this solution for many of my clients looking for an easy method of extending a secure layer 2 connection to a remote location. Many times when I travel, I take this solution with me which primarily consists of an ultra portable PC from Fujitsu with ICS set up on it. I leverage the wireless NIC on it to connect to either my Verizon MiFi or public hot spots such as in the hotels I stay in. The wired connection goes to my Aruba RAP that automatically establishes an IPSEC tunnel back to my home network. And through GRE encapsulation I have layer 2 extension, which means I can be hundreds/thousands of miles away and have a connection to my home network like I'm sitting at home. The extension works for both wired and wireless (as I have 3 of the SSIDs configured at home to broadcast remotely). I have also taken my Cisco IP phone with me and connected it to my RAP. The IP phone registers to my call manager and allows me to make phone calls using my home's land line service anywhere I have Internet service. So the double NAT situation this creates as my MiFi uses 192.168.1.0/24 and the ICS setup uses another block (I forget what private addressing it uses) has caused zero problems.

I used to have my ASA 5505 connected behind my TZ400W in a double NAT situation too. In fact, the NAT overload I had set up on the 5505 was taking 3 different subnets and NATing it to a single private external address to the TZ400W. Again no issues there either and I ran this setup for years back when I had another ASA 5505 as my edge firewall, to the TZ205W, to the TZ215W, and now the TZ400W.

And the comment about if I deal with a lot of people, yes. In my career, I've dealt with hundreds to thousands of people which used networks and systems I've put together. Now that I'm in a consulting role, I work with people that are managing systems which support thousands of corporate users with some of their systems providing publicly facing service which means hundreds of thousands of public users. How about you?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  11. XeoNoX

XeoNoX Banned

was just giving u a example where it could be a issue, please read my original post as it clearly stated:

NOTE: once again this is not recommended as you may have issues and may possibly be double NATTING and mots people would consider this not properly setup correctly if you do that.

please re-read that i did say MAY

Best Regards,
    XeoNoX

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Spin it anyway you want. May is not even a possibility. There is no issue running a double NAT in normal inside out traffic flow as I've stated repeatedly. This is another example you showing that you don't understand basic network protocol operation. In this case NAT overloads. If you understand how NAT overload works, you will realize there is no possibility of any network issues having a double NAT situation. In my example, my double NAT didn't even affect my ability to establish an IPSEC tunnel.

You just need to just back away and stop saying more things which expose weakness in your knowledge.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice