1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to control information given by my browser

Discussion in 'General Security' started by OM2, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I dont want websites to know what OS I'm using.
    I don't want them to know what screen size I have.
    + Many other zillions of things.

Is there anyway to either block or minimise the information given?
    Is there anyway to artificially insert what information I am giving out?

Say I'm using a Mac - I don't want you to know I am surfing using a Mac - this is my business...
    Can I give out information saying: using Windows 3.1 and using IE ver 1.

Thanks.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I fail to see why you would want that for privacy reasons. Websites need that info in order to render the pages adequately for your browser. Depending on your browser, you can change the User-Agent String. Websites will see the OS and the browser of your choice. But, some websites may not work properly, and others have ways to still find out your real informations.

https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/ho...user-agent-without-installing-any-extensions/

Or, for Google Chrome, you can easily find extensions in the Chrome Web Store.

For Firefox, there are add-ons that will do it as well.

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

That's an awesome link.
    I never knew you could control like that.

I found a plugin for Firefox called ScriptNo
    It's awesome. It strips EVERYTHING from the browser information given out

I couldn't find for chrome the same

As to why...?
    There might be somethings that they need to know. Like maybe screen resolution. But other things we need to analyse point by point. I'm just saying they use too many dots - that allows them to connect and store information about you.

See the Facebook problems. What's wrong with answering a few questions and letting a company access your likes and your friends information similarly?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

No matter how much info they collect from your operating system or browser, websites don't know who's behind the computer through normal browsing. The only thing they have is your IP address, with which they can't do a thing, unless you've done something terrible and they need to warn law enforcement agencies. Otherwise, an Internet service provider will never give them that information without a court order.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!