1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to convert my Itunes library . . .

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by El_Doro, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

I want to convert my whole itunes library to mp3 format. Currently some songs are mp3's and some are m4a.

Can someone suggest a programe that can convert my whole library, which is organised, so all the files are under artisit then album folders. I dont want to have to go through each file individually as i have around 600 to convert.

Or can anyone suggest and alternative way to convert my whole library?

Cheers

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) sounds like it may do the conversion as long as none of the iTunes files have DRM protection. The support forums on the site seem to discuss methods and work arrounds for processing files in a directory structure. The software is not free but they offer a 30 day trial.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

3. mphair

mphair

Usually m4a files are m4a because they have DRM protection (if that's the crap that will only allow the file on 3 different computers or something like that) The most efficient way to get rid of m4a that i have found is to burn a cd from itunes and then rip it using different software. I used CDex for about 50 cds worth of songs. quite the hastle, but now they are all mp3.
    -mphair

4. El_Doro

El_Doro Thread Starter

dBpowerAMP worked great, i already had the program, hadnt realised that there was a multiple file selection tool, worked fine on the diredtory structure. Dowloaded the codec for the m4a support. Everything worked great.

Cheers

5. cwwozniak

The .m4p file is a DRM-protected iTunes file and the .m4a file is an unprotected AAC audio file.

El_Doro,

If you consider your question resolved, you can mark this thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu at the top of your fust post.

6. cwwozniak

I believe there is a subtle difference between m4p and m4a

The .m4p file is a DRM-protected iTunes file and the .m4a file is an unprotected AAC audio file.

El_Doro,

If you consider your question resolved, you can mark this thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu at the top of your fust post.

EDIT: Just realized that the original link for the above quote included a paragraph on bypassing the DRM. Link removed. -CWW

7. mphair

mphair

cwwozniak...my mistake, i was going off of memory and didnt research. in my defense, they are pretty close and both kinda suck.
    -gtard

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453492