1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Copy IDE Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jimmy A, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

I have a new and bigger Barracuda hard drive I bought from Dell. My skill level and experience is "intermediate" with my 2003 Dell Dimension 8250. I have had 4 hard drives. The one I now have was a small spare my computer shop guy gave me free, but it is only 20 gig. (Now full.) It is still working well. It is an IDE connection.

What I am thinking to do is make an exact copy of OS and all contents onto the new drive. Then I would have the new bigger one and keep the old, still good one, so I could boot up with either one. My PC shop can not copy IDE drives. He suggests just reinstalling OS onto the new drive.

Is there an easy way to make a bootable exact copy of the old drive onto the new? Or should I just start over on the new? (And keep the still working old drive as a spare?)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 19085 MB, Free - 4599 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., , , .. .
    Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 4.2, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. razorwing

razorwing Banned

3. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Thank you for this response.

Are there step by step instructions. I looked but did not see any yet. Do I need 2 computers to clone a hard drive? My Dell Demension 8250 has 2 hard drive bays. Probably intended to be a "master and slave" arrangement. Never attempted this sort of thing before.

Thanks again.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You nee to be able to run 2 HDDs in one computer .. then Clone one drive to the other.
    If the Computer has SATA HDDs .. there is no Master Slave configuration.

5. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

My old Dell has the IDE connections.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Then setup a Master/Slave .. (I'd use cable config.)
    Then Clone the Old to the New HDD.
    I'd use Acronis to perform the Cloning ... But you could use the Freeware Macrium

I've never used Macrium .. But in Acronis, You can manually specify the sizes of the new partitions while cloning

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice