1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to copy/paste parts of a page?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by naeem2, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Is there a way to copy/paste parts of a page?
    Ex: a list of three items and I want to copy/paste the 1st and 3rd ones. I tried dragging my mouse to highlight one and held the control key down and released my mouse button to go highlight the other one but it did not work. The highlight of the first one did not hold. Thanks for help.

2. lemmonhead

lemmonhead

You could copy and paste line by line into another open program like notepad, then when they're all on the screen, copy and paste them all to where you want them to go.

3. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

I have a very, very long list and each item has a date. I wanted to copy/paste all the ones with a certain date, etc. I thought there should be some key such as the control ley or a combination of two such keys(alt, etc.) that would allow highlighting of "parts" instead of just one item or all items. I have the entire list on an e-mail sent to myself and what I am having to do is forward it to myself and before sending, highlight and delete the dates that have gone by, and keep the ones not here yet and send to myself. The next day do the same thing by deleting the old date.

4. lemmonhead

lemmonhead

Why don't you create an editable database in excel or something. Then you can just edit the dates of each line, or the whole column of dates, or parts of the column, etc.. follow me?

Hope that might help ya.

5. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

I have not tried that since each item is a link to a web page. Sort of a watch list....check out the ones for today and then delete those from the list. there are many for each day so deleting the old ones is needed. Can "shortcuts" or "links" be clicked on in an Excel document? or Word?

6. lemmonhead

lemmonhead

yes they can

7. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

I tried WORD and it is putting each item in a box. I copied 3 items from my original source and then it was easy to use the control key to highlight the 1st and 3rd item, but when it is pasted it came out like this:
    Harry Potter mouse pad Journey to Hogwarts + BONUS
    Pokemon Ball NEW CDs teach math reading grades 1-5
    Apr-03-04 17:03:27 PST
    Apr-05-04 09:03:43 PDT
    $2.99
    $6.99
    So, this way will not work since I can not tell which date and price goes with which item. I need them side by side.
    I do not know much about Excel except that I have always avoided using it because of its difficulty, but I'll play around with it and see.

8. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

I tried Excel and when I open it there is a cell there at "A". I tried to expand the size of the box and it just followed me all over the page. I tried to paste 3 of my 100's of items in that one cell and it would not paste, the box outline just changed to dots and vibrated. Not, sure, but I still believe there should be some way to highlight and copy several parts of something instead of only one item or all 300 items.

9. sekirt

sekirt

What version of Windows?

I think you can only highlight an area in a "block" like a square/rectangle. Not isolated spots on a page. Can you paste the entire list into any program that has a "sort option" and get all your dates into a group and then copy them?

sekirt

10. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

Windows XP. I am not aware of any sorting program.

11. sekirt

sekirt

I don't use Word or Excel.
    I know Excel can sort. Can't Word alphabetize?

Reason I asked about version of Windows, DOS also has a sort program.

sekirt

12. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

Excel probably can sort, I am just not familiar with Excel at all and don't undertand the cells, etc. I have put a number in the cell and it always moves it all the way to the left, removes decimals, adds this or that. Anyway, I need these listed by dates not alphabetical. I'll look around on both programs.

13. sekirt

sekirt

What you would need to do is figure how many spaces over the date starts....then sort/alphabetize that field.

For instance if it said: Harry Potter Apr-03-04
    start the sort 14 spaces over to where Apr is located.

Incidently, there are URL organizer programs out there, freeware.
    You might find one that does what you want.
    Search words for Google: URL organizer freeware "Windows XP"
    -or- PIM freeware "Windows XP"
    -or- Freeform database freeware "Windows XP"

(PIM=Personal Information Manager)
    sekirt

14. naeem2

naeem2 Thread Starter

I have not had time to play around with Excel, but a friend at work used a small list of my items and sent it to me on Excel and he sorted it by dates. I was able to do the same thing on Word. The only problem is that the item names, which are also links to webpages, require more than just a click of the mouse. On both Excel and Word you have to press the control key, then left click the mouse and a browser will open and take me to the webpage. But, if I want to look at several items it opens a new browser on each one. So, I have to close browsers. The only answer I have found to that is take the sorted items from Word or Excel and copy it to an e-mail and send it to myself. Then upon receipt the links work normal, only require a click of the mouse and as I go from item to item only one browser opens up. The long list of items are like this:
    name(which is also a link)....price...another number....date & time
    Sorting by date is what I needed. I want to be able to take all the ones for April 4th for example and save them and look at all them on that date. Then have all the items for April 5th on a page, etc. Not sure why these shortcuts require those procedures once they get to Excel or Word.
    I'll try the things already suggested to me in this thread so as to learn how to use Excel.

15. sekirt

sekirt

(y)

sekirt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice