1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to copy to ext HD when BSOD? DOS/LINUX?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spryster, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spryster

spryster Thread Starter

I have BSOD 0x00000050 (0xDA240C8C, 0x00000000, 0xF958A8D3, 0x00000000).

I swapped over two external USB devices (not the ext HD, that was detached) in their sockets and did receive some loading software messages - the cause? PC left on and online, Blue Screen of Death in morning.

I have read the fixes, and want to copy data before attempting remove softwares, repairs, reinstalls in that order.

But how to copy my files and downloaded programmes, databases etc?

Completely clueless, do I go to a DOS prompt, and where does that live nowadays? Where can i find the COPY commands? Plenty of room on the EHD, do i just COPYALL of the internal hard drive?

One advice, to remove hard drive and place in another PC - is that necessary absolutely? What difficutlies to be aware of there?

Ditto remove software really - what is the way in to working on a PC when Windows won't open?

Thanks if you can help,

Mark

2. ryanclemson

ryanclemson

if you're looking to copy data from hard drive to hard drive, i would recommend buying a usb to ide/sata converter and then using free software such as HDClone or Knoppix to copy the files.

you can't copy files to an external hard drive at the dos prompt because the external hdd isn't recognized by dos.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice