1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to correct unsynchronized sound and video

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video stored on a hard disk where the sound and video are out of sync by about 2 seconds. Remaking the video is not an option at this point. here's the question:

Is there a way to synchronize the sound in this video?

I have absolutely no experience with this kind of thing and have never edited a video at all so you might have to talk baby talk to me. :D

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends on a couple things. Is the sound consistently about the same time off throughout the video, or does the time increase as the video plays? In other words, does the sound just need to be shifted or also inflated in time?

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

If you use VLC to play the file, there's a setting to delay or advance the audio sync.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also in GOM Player. If you can get the sound synched just by shifting by a couple seconds, then all that needs to be done is demuxing (separating sound from video) and then adding or subtracting a section of silence near the beginning before multiplexing them (putting them back together).

If you can't sync them that way, then the sound most likely also needs to be inflated in time (if the delay or advance increases as the video plays).

5. Alex Ethridge

I don't know about inflating as we played only a minute or so of a forty-minute video to see the sound was not synchronized.

Let's assume for now (just to get started) the sound is consistently a couple of seconds off throughout the video. What is the best method for adjusting this and what is the best program to use?

A free program would be nice; but, a for-pay, commercial program is not out of the question.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

VLC

Open VLC
    Select Tools
    Select Effects and Filters
    Click the Synchronization tab
    Move the advance of audio over video either - or +

You must do this every time you play the file if you are not willing to re-encode, which entails demuxing the audio as Elvandil mentioned. For that, AviDemux is the only tool you'll need.

7. Alex Ethridge

Thanks. We want to make it permanent so we can put it onto DVD and not have to worry with the sync after that. I guess AviDemux is it.

I'll try to get on it some time in the next week and let you know my result.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you already have an audio/video converter, like Total Video Converter, they often have demultiplexing options. If they do not have any editing abilities, the extracted mp3 stream can be edited with Audacity, but usually they can also re-multiplex with various optional parameters. I use it, for example, to extract music from music videos.

TMPGEnc is also good, but not free. Other tools include AutoGK and VirtualDubMod.

I doubt very much that it will be necessary to purchase anything since there are so many of these very good tools available.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice