1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to correctly mirror a computer to a portable hard-drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by referee07, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I recently bought a new computer with an approximately 550GB hard drive. After I bought the computer, I basically transferred all of my programs/files from my older computer to my new computer. I would like to create a back-up of my computer to a portable hard-drive. When I tried to make a mirror copy of my new computer to the portable hard-drive that I had used to back-up my older computer, the back-up program (Acronis) told me that I didn't have enough space. This does not seem right because I was able to back-up my laptop and my desktop computers on the same portable hard-drive. I think what is happening is that Aronis is trying to back up the entire 550GB's and not just the programs/files that are on the new computer. Is there a way that I can back up just the programs/files that are on my new computer and not the entire hard-drive? (There is an option to back up files on Acronis, but I didn't see an option to back-up files and programs, i.e., everything that I have on the computer and not unused space on the computer's hard-drive. Thanks in advance with any and all recommendations.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Make sure you haven't selected sector-by-sector option in Acronis.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

prunejuce, thanks for the reply. When I have tried backing up my computer, I haven't had "sector-by-sector" checked. Is it possible to back up everything on the drive without backing all of the drive? Thanks again.

4. raybro

raybro

I know of no way to backup installed programs without including the operating system. Program application installation almost always includes adding entries to the registry which is the heart of the OS, therefore you must include the OS in order to have the programs.

Files... just drag and drop works for me.

You indicated you do not have enough space on the external drive. Are you sure you have deleted all the previous backup files from the old computer?

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice