How to create a bootable USB drive ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dr911

Hi All,

I have a dell laptop with XP on it. I want to install some type of a Linux OS. I have fooled around with Mint & a few other Linux systems before, My question is how do I run a Linux OS from a flash drive. I got my laptop set up to boot from the usb port first.

Any help ?

What Linux OS should I download to my XP desktop & what program works good to make a ISO Linux OS.

Long story short: How to create a bootable USB drive

Thanks for any info.

dr911

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
..What Linux OS should I download to my XP desktop & what program works good to make a ISO Linux OS. .. dr911
What are the specs of the desktop? That info will help narrow down your choices, particularly if it's lower spec ... but there are still good choices. (y)

Richard.

dr911

What are the specs of the desktop? That info will help narrow down your choices, particularly if it's lower spec ... but there are still good choices.
Richard,

Thanks, I should have include that info, Here's the specs on my LAPTOP.

Dell Latitude D510

Pentium M
1.73 GHz
1 GB ram

I've tried Linux Puppy, not much in the OS though. Just want to make a bootable USB stick.

Thanks.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I find Puppy covers all my needs without having several applications doing the same thing.

Don't get your hopes up on performance running from a USB flash drive...

Write speeds will be excruciating if you're looking to do any serious work.

managed

Allan
Do you have specific tasks you want to do in Linux or do you simply want to try Linux out ?

EDIT : some versions can run in Ram and that's fast but if you want to keep changes for the next session the version needs to be 'persistant' and save the changes to the Usb stick when you finish. Puppy Linux does both and is a good choice if you're not familiar with Linux yet. You can install new programs as needed or use a version of Puppy that has more software included from the start.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online