1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to create a bootable USB drive ??

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by dr911, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dr911

dr911 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a dell laptop with XP on it. I want to install some type of a Linux OS. I have fooled around with Mint & a few other Linux systems before, My question is how do I run a Linux OS from a flash drive. I got my laptop set up to boot from the usb port first.

Any help ?

What Linux OS should I download to my XP desktop & what program works good to make a ISO Linux OS.

Long story short: How to create a bootable USB drive

Thanks for any info.

dr911

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

What are the specs of the desktop? That info will help narrow down your choices, particularly if it's lower spec ... but there are still good choices. (y)

Richard.

4. dr911

dr911 Thread Starter

Richard,

Thanks, I should have include that info, Here's the specs on my LAPTOP.

Dell Latitude D510

Pentium M
    1.73 GHz
    1 GB ram

I've tried Linux Puppy, not much in the OS though. Just want to make a bootable USB stick.

Thanks.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I find Puppy covers all my needs without having several applications doing the same thing.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Don't get your hopes up on performance running from a USB flash drive...

Write speeds will be excruciating if you're looking to do any serious work.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you have specific tasks you want to do in Linux or do you simply want to try Linux out ?

EDIT : some versions can run in Ram and that's fast but if you want to keep changes for the next session the version needs to be 'persistant' and save the changes to the Usb stick when you finish. Puppy Linux does both and is a good choice if you're not familiar with Linux yet. You can install new programs as needed or use a version of Puppy that has more software included from the start.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice