1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to create a drop down list that includes more than one column of data?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kisongo, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kisongo

Kisongo Thread Starter

I am trying to find a way of creating a drop down list that will include more that one column of information.
    My cell that I wish to select from the drop down is A1.

I have a list of items on a separate worksheet or further down to select from the drop down list is; column A includes a description of a product, column B is the price and D is the type.

I would like that when I select the product in the drop down list (for example from A11), that the price (from B11) and that the type (from C11) also will stay with the product and appear in all 3 cells; A1= product, B1= price C1= type. so the price and type would remain with the product regardless if they were not chosen.

A B C
    Product Price Type
    Shoes $2 Sports
    Sandles $3 casual

So If i was to select shoes in the drop down, it would appear in cell A and $2 would appear in cell B and Sports would appear in cell C

2. CDHarm

CDHarm

Kisongo,

Hi, and welcome to the forum. You could use a userform for what you want. If you want to go that route I could or some one else may be able to do it. I'm not sure how what you want can be done with a formula. May be some one with more knowledge may be able to do it that way.

Take a look at the attachment. This is something I put together for another user. It can be modified for your purpose.

Attached Files:

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    I took a look at Charle's sample and should work for you, I did run into some vba errors but those are easy to solve, another method using data validation can help.
    I came accross this tutorial for Execl 2007 or 2010 but the same principle works vor 2003 files.

http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=81001

It's worth the look and to let it sink in

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice