1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to create a DVD recovery disc on a Netbook?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jodycat, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jodycat

Jodycat Thread Starter

Hi everyone

Could any help me I have bought a new netbook which obviously has no CD/DVD Drive. I want to create a backup/recovery disc, when you go into it says it will take 2 blank DVD's. It then says no optical disc found. I connected it via an XSync cable to my laptop hoping I could do it this way but no! I plugged in my 500gb external hard drive hoping this was an option but it wasn't either.

Packard Bell say a 4gb flash drive or the hard drive should work. Any ideas how I can do this? When it say no optical disc found it doesn't give you an option to browse or send it to another drive.

Many thanks Jo

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Define "it"

3. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You can attach a USB DVD drive to your NetBook to create a DVD Recovery disc set.

Alternatively, use a disk imaging tool such as Acronis True Image to backup the HD to an external HD.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If Packard Bell said a flash drive wold work, they should be able to tell you how to actually do it. The options available for creating the disks are specific to the computer manufacturer.

5. Jodycat

Jodycat Thread Starter

Sorry Mumbodog - it - when you go into the Recovery Management and select create backup disc it says you need 2 blank dvds and in the Burn to option it says Unable to detect a writable optical drive. The down arrow is present but it doesn't allow you to choose another option.
    Thanks for your help!

6. Jodycat

Jodycat Thread Starter

Sorry Mumbodog - it - when you go into the Recovery Management and select create backup disc it says you need 2 blank dvds and in the Burn to option it says Unable to detect a writable optical drive. The down arrow is present but it doesn't allow you to choose another option.
    Thanks for your help!

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If this is manufacturer recovery management software, then you will have to buy a USB DVD drive, they are $50~$60

This USB drive will also allow you to recover the PC should disaster strike.

These DVDs you will make will allow you to reinstall the OS and other software and make the PC just like it was when it left the factory.

I think it is worth the investment in the USB DVD drive.

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would contact the OEM and ask them!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice