1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to create compressed ISO File???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by go4saket, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

Hi Guys!

I have a ISO file which is of 600 MB, but the contents inside it is about 1200 MB. This means that files inside it are in compressed format. How can I create a compressed ISO file in the same way.

Thanks.

2. Goku

Goku

Hmmm.....Another Indian like me.I like it.Good to meet you go4saket.Ok,as for your question you can probably use a program like WinRAR or WinZip to compress the file and then add it to the ISO.This should do the trick.Report back if it is succesful.Good Luck.

3. Goku

Goku

Yeah,got an alternate solution.Do this.Go here:-

http://www.download.com/PowerISO/300...=uo&tag=button

Download PowerISO and install it.In the end associate it with every file type,it lists.Start the program and ignore the registration nag.Now you will get a screen like the one I have attached.Now,the best part.You want to see what are the contents of the file before burning it to CD.Hmmmm.....No problem.Just mount the image.Here is how to do it:-

1)Click on "Tools" and highlight "Virtual Drive".
    2)Highlight "Set Number of Drives" and select 1.
    3)Now open "My Computer".You will see that there is one more virtual drive added.
    4)Right click on the virtual drive,highlight PowerISO and select "Mount Image to Virtual Drive" or something like that.Browse to the file and Click "Open".
    5)Now,this will mount the image in the drive making it think that there is a CD in the drive when it is only an image!

Browse the contents of the file.Everything perfect?Ok,lets compress it:-

1)Open PowerISO.
    2)Click on "Tools".
    3)Select "Compress..."
    4)Browse to the file and select "Ok".
    5)This will compress your .iso file.
    6)You can do this multiple times to compress it within a small size.

Do this and report back here.Good Luck.

4. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

Hello Goku! Thanks but I do know about PowerISO. The problem with it is that it changes the ISO to DAA if you go for the conversion. I want the output to be in ISO format.

5. Goku

Goku

Hmmm......do you mind if it is in daa.I mean do you want to burn it or just keep the file?Hey,one more question.Where do you stay in India?

6. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

I am from Orissa! As for DAA, as it needs PowerISO only and not all image mounting softwares support, I didnt want to keep my files in that format. Therefore I prefer ISO.

7. Goku

Goku

Well,I am from Gujarat.As for your concept,you are wrong.I do agree that iso format can be read by all CD burning applications but daa format can also be read by all image burning programs like MagicISO,PowerISO,Daemon Tools,etc.Remember,it is image burning and not CD burning application.As you are creating a "compressed" image,you will need an image burning application for that.And,daa extension can be read by all image burning applications.Therefore,no need to worry.Your image will be compressed,readable and valid.Hope you get it.Good Luck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576239