How to create only administrator on XP install first user.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joe.cooper

Hello,

I have searched many blogs and internet resources over the past few weeks, but have not found this solution. But I did discover it.

Question: How to skip the required first name input from the XP first time load?

I have discoveded that if you type the word "local" in for the first user, XP will only load the adminitrator and all user accounts.

I use this option all the time now. This makes it easier to setup on our Small Business Server Environment without deleting an extra use.

If anyone finds this documented anywhere, such as Microsoft, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe C Cooper
[email protected]

You could create your own .iso image and make XP install the named accounts you choose.

joe.cooper

I also wonder why I can't create a user called "local" as I desire? Does any have any ideas?

As Sequal7 noted, that is probably the best site on the net for learning how to create your own .iso images.

Create a textfile named "WINNT.SIF".
Then drop it into the I386 folder of your XP CD.
Here's a copy of mine, you get only an Administrator and guest account.:
Code:
;SetupMgrTag 
[Data] 
    AutoPartition=0 
    MsDosInitiated="0" 
    UnattendedInstall="Yes" 

[Unattended] 
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended 
    OemPreinstall=Yes 
    OemSkipEula="Yes"
    TargetPath = "Windows"
    DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
    UnattendSwitch="yes"

[GuiUnattended]
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    AdminPassword=*
    AutoLogon=Yes
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    OemSkipWelcome=1
    TimeZone=205

[RegionalSettings]
    Language=041e
    LanguageGroup=1,2,3,4,5,6, 7, 8, 9, 10,11,12,13,14,15
    SystemLocale=0000041e
    UserLocale=0000041e
    InputLocale=0409:00000409,041e:0000041e

[TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=66
    AreaCode=02
    Dialing=Tone

[Display] 
	BitsPerPel = 32
	Xresolution = 800
	Yresolution = 600
	Vrefresh = 85

[UserData] 
    ProductKey=*****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    FullName="My Comp"
    OrgName="My Corporation"
    ComputerName=*

[Identification] 
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP 

[Networking] 
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Shell]
    DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes

[WindowsFirewall]
    Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
    Mode = 0
Ps. the userlocale for this sif file is Thailand, but i'm sure you can google the other country codes that you'll need.
As mentioned above, this is a good site for this:
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

joe.cooper

Hello,

My intent for the question is to let other sbser's to know about individual install of XP Pro/Home. That if they only wanted the local administrator user on the computer. So you don't have to create a new local user, just to delete it again (save some steps). I have told this to out West Michigan Small Business User Group members, and they like it.

Since; with SBS, you run into individual workstation setups all the time in my business.

Since joining the domain is a requirement, why have extra local users hanging around.

The funny thing is, I don't know if it is documented or I discovered it by accident?

Do you recommend any other sources for this type of setup?

Thanks,

Joe C Cooper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online