1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to create recovery dvd's from recovery partition mounted as usb-external drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by davephil, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I am working on my sisters Toshiba L655d-S5055 notebook. windows 7, 3gb, amd v120 processor, 250gb drive. Started with error msg at boot "encountered a problem communicating with a device at startup......". Couldn't get by this error. took out drive, inserted into usb-enclosure, and tested. numerous sector errors. She has also lost the recovery disks I made for her. I used partition software to scan just the recovery partition, and there are no errors reported there. What I would like to do, is to copy to a flash drive, or make new recovery dvd's from this recovery partition; then I can use the coa from the back of the notebook (if necessary) for full install onto a new hard drive. However, I can't use the toshiba notebook for this; I can only use my desktop pc for the xfer; using the toshiba hard drive as a usb external drive, and the toshiba media creator software will not install onto my desktop pc (doesn't give me a reason). I would prefer to go the dvd-route, but flash drive would be ok, too. Any info is appreciated. thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check to see if a set of Recovery DVDs can be ordered from Toshiba.

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

sure they can; for $25 bucks. but I was really trying to avoid spending more$, plus I was really interested in seeing if this can be done.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think they need to be made using the "Tools" that are on the Toshiba machine. Just burning them to a DVD from a different machine may not work as they would NOT be bootable.

5. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

yeah, maybe that's the case. I've been reading about other people who, supposedly, copied the recovery partition to a flash drive, and used that to re-install the os, but cannot confirm that it works.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Re-install the hard drive into the laptop and then try the method here :- http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/71

Basically you hold down the Zero key and press the power button and it should run the recovery program.

EDIT : the drive will be overwritten so try to get any wanted data off it first.

7. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

I am having problems with my modem-may not be able to answer promptly. I will do as you suggested.. thanks.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Making an image of your current system will make a recovery set that includes all your updates and programs up to this point.

A copy of the manufacturer's image may be needed to restore they system if you later decide to sell it. You will also need to include the OS if you sell it, anyway.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1111084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice