HOW to DEFRAG a large file that is left after a normal HD defrag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nflder

I'm sure lots of us are left with files that for some reason are left still fragmented after doing a HD defrag. I have a very slow Norton email scan, it takes ages just to scan a half dozen emails with no attachments. Upon doing a defrag (after a lengthy deleting and backing up to CD's to get the space) I was left with a number of files that were still all broken up. One of them was a Norton file... \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton Internet Security\URLLists. Could this be the reason? It is 109 MB with 1,564 fragments. I would think that would slow anything down. Trouble is it is a URL list not a virus list.

Anyway MY QUESTON IS - Can I copy this file to somewhere else, delete the original file and copy the copied file back to the folder in an attempt to get it all together? And still have Norton recognise it. By the way I'm using XP... Thanks

Firstly, I assume Nortons was not running during the defrag? (if it was, it would have the files locked and would not be able to defrag them in all probability).
Secondly, a 109 MB file is quite tiny really and unlikely to be the cause of tyhe slow scanning.

If its scanning of outgoing emails, I would question why its active.

If nortons found nothing incoming, and it will be scanning every file when opened or attached, it sure isn't going to find anything outgoing.

Nflder

Thanks for the reply.

Norton was off as much as I could. I disabled all its functions, but you're right and I never thought of using the Task Manager to shut down CCAPP, I'll try that. The delay is on incoming emails, if I have 50 odd sometimes the download will even timeout. I'll try it & let you know.

I do have another file belonging to a music composing pgm - Sibelius which was not running at the time. It is 250megs & has 250 fragments. Do you think I could copy it to another directory, delete the original and move the copy back without causing the program problems?

I'll let you know what happens when I turn off Norton (if it will allow me to) & defrag again.

I'm a Barbershopper and always sign off with...

Yours for a song....

Nflder

Well when XP would not let me close CCAPP.exe I decided to rename the Semantic file, copy it to another location rename it back to the original name and move it back where it belonged. Defrag advised me the this new file had only 8 fragments. I used live update and downloaded the new updates but the file did not update, hopefully because it did not have any updates to download. I will keep checking this and let you know if it functions correctly. I still have the original file which I can revert to if the renamed one does not function.

However it did not improve the downloading of the emails. Maybe its my server????

why dont u just run the defrag in safe mode? Also did u run a cleanup before that and clear out the temporary files, temp internet files etc? After clean up, run chkdsk and then defragment. What about the minimum free space needed, do you have 15%?

cky

defraging in safe mod should work but just remember that norton has always been slow for scanning emails. you might consider moving to another antivirus i like avast free version it is the best i have found!!(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online