How to delete 2 OS option at boot ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roupcat

I added a second HD and loaded XP as a second OS on it. When booting a screen appears asking which OS I want to use, XP or Win 98, If I don't select Windows it boots to XP which I have not activated. I thought I removed XP from the HD by formating it. I would like to get rid the boot screen option.

go to START, hit the button marked RUN and type "msconfg"

go to the BOOT.INI tab and look at the text box. youll notice a string like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)/WINDOWS="Microsoft XP professional" yada yada yada

and one similar but with "Windows 98"

highlight the one marked XP and click the button below labelled "Set as default"

that SHOULD get rid of you having to choose XP every time you boot because windows will load XP even if you dont select anything and let the timer count down.

roupcat

Thanks for the reply, but I want to get rid of XP and boot to win98 . I'm using Win 98SE

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Boot an MS-DOS disk, created with W98SE, and type the following two commands.

FDISK /MBR
SYS C:

You can then remove the XP folders.

roupcat

Thank you, that worked. It said system transferred, I shut down and when I re-booted it went to Win 98SE.
Dan

I had accidently done something really similar. My OS are XP Pro tablet edition and XPHome and i want to get rid of xphome please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online