1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete 2 OS option at boot ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roupcat, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

I added a second HD and loaded XP as a second OS on it. When booting a screen appears asking which OS I want to use, XP or Win 98, If I don't select Windows it boots to XP which I have not activated. I thought I removed XP from the HD by formating it. I would like to get rid the boot screen option.

2. spudnik

spudnik

go to START, hit the button marked RUN and type "msconfg"

go to the BOOT.INI tab and look at the text box. youll notice a string like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)/WINDOWS="Microsoft XP professional" yada yada yada

and one similar but with "Windows 98"

highlight the one marked XP and click the button below labelled "Set as default"

that SHOULD get rid of you having to choose XP every time you boot because windows will load XP even if you dont select anything and let the timer count down.

3. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but I want to get rid of XP and boot to win98 . I'm using Win 98SE

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boot an MS-DOS disk, created with W98SE, and type the following two commands.

FDISK /MBR
    SYS C:

You can then remove the XP folders.

5. roupcat

roupcat Thread Starter

Thank you, that worked. It said system transferred, I shut down and when I re-booted it went to Win 98SE.
    Dan

6. NZ_Lily

NZ_Lily

I had accidently done something really similar. My OS are XP Pro tablet edition and XPHome and i want to get rid of xphome please help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!