How to delete a version of XP Pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Honeyman

I have a friends computer who says she couldn't get it to work. When I boot up it automatically goes to start loading a Windows XP Pro. She already had Windows XP Home Edition on the computer. It looks like someone has tried to load the Professional Version on there, but didn't finish or couldn't finish for whatever reason. After about a minute it asks for XP Pro Disk with SP2, which I do not have. My question is can I delete what has loaded of XP Pro and revert it back to only XP Home edition? I can hit F1 when booting up and it asks which version I want to use and when selecting XP Home edition it loads up, however the graphics drivers are correct, which is another issue I am working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try this . . it may work . .

Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one in invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

Honeyman

The XP Pro version is gone now. Thanks. I dont' know if this is the place, but I also have two display adapters that have yellow exclamations. I downloaded updated drivers for them, but I can't get them to upgrade drivers. I get a "an error occured during installation. The I/O operation had been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request" message. Any guidance on that error. The display adapters are the Intel 82830M Graphics Controller-0 and 1. Thanks for your help.

Try deleting both and rebooting to see if Windows will recognize and reload the right drivers

Honeyman

I tried that first. Both the drivers come back as VGA something. I am at work and away from that computer. When I select what driver to use, it recognizes the Intel 82830M Graphics Controller-0 and 1, but the gives me the error message listed below. Any other ideas?

Try going to the INtel website and and download the graphics drivers for that board. Sounds as though they have been corrupted with the aborted installation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online