1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete extra windows instalation from my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jackflush, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackflush

Jackflush Thread Starter

I have an extra operating system on my C drive that I want to get rid of. Can this be done without reformatting the drive

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is it a functional O/S, or just the indication when you boot up? You can get rid of the boot prompt by running MSCONFIG and having it test the boot paths. However, if you've somehow managed to install two versions of Windows, both on the C: drive, you have a mess on your hands.

3. Jackflush

Jackflush Thread Starter

The installer warned him not to do it, so he did it anyway. he now has a copy of xp home and xp pro on his C drive. He wants yhe version of xp pro removed. I assume the drive will have to be formatted and all data lost. is this correct?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can back up the data . .

5. coolpcguy

coolpcguy

You need not format the drive.. suitable corrections to boot.ini will do.First make a copy of the file. Find out which entry corresponds to the XP Pro edition and remove the line and save the file. Next time when you boot, only the boot entry to XP Home will be shown. Then you can remove the xp pro directory. Ofcourse this assumes that the XP Home n Pro are installed on separate directories(which is what you meant when you said "extra" copy I hope.)

Sathya

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I'd reformat. The two copies have modified the same sections of the disk, and I'm sure it's somewhat of a mess. Documents and Settings and Program Files are both probably somewhat scrambled. I presume they specified a different name for the Windows folder?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice