1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to delete photo from laptop but keep on iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by jsharyn27, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Advertisement
  1. jsharyn27

jsharyn27 Thread Starter

I have a Macbook Pro with Sierra 10.12.5 OS. I have thousands of photos on the laptop and would like to free up space by deleting the photos from the laptop. They're on iCloud so I thought it would be possible to delete them from the laptop without losing them. But when I click on 'Delete' to remove a photo from the laptop, it says it will be removed from all devices. Does that mean it's also removed from iCloud? Is there a way to delete from the laptop without losing them? Other than loading them onto a flash drive?

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

If all those photos are important and irreplaceable to you, deleting them from your laptop without having a "physical" backup copy of them isn't advisable.
    Depending on how much space they consume, one or more DVD-R's can be used.
    A USB thumb drive with sufficient capacity would suffice as a second "physical" backup copy.

I don't use iCloud, so I can't comment on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. mister2

mister2 Mike

Buy an external HD. 1TB is reasonably priced these days.

Copy the photo library file to a folder on your ext drive. Rename it something you’d remember those photos as.

Delete the photo library file on your laptop.

When you start Photos you should be prompted to locate the file or create a new one.

Or you can select all your images in photos and drag them to your ext drive. This will create individual images files for all your pictures.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193117